> > P R O J E C T < < Brown BRUIN build !!!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al,
Did you consider channelling the cab to go over the frame rails instead of lifting the body? I think the body lift might be easier but you could bolt to the frame rails and not have to move your brackets. Did you say there is a clearance problem with the fuel tank? If you aren't worried about loosing a little cab floor under the back seat, might be worth it to just cut that rear floor section out and fab a step in the floor to sorta match the contour of the frame. Just a thought. Guess it just depends on what you want your outcome to be (lifted or not) and what kind of fab work you would rather do. I'm thinking about the crew on scab thing so been putting some clock cycles to this myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al,
Did you consider channelling the cab to go over the frame rails instead of lifting the body? I think the body lift might be easier but you could bolt to the frame rails and not have to move your brackets. Did you say there is a clearance problem with the fuel tank? If you aren't worried about loosing a little cab floor under the back seat, might be worth it to just cut that rear floor section out and fab a step in the floor to sorta match the contour of the frame. Just a thought. Guess it just depends on what you want your outcome to be (lifted or not) and what kind of fab work you would rather do. I'm thinking about the crew on scab thing so been putting some clock cycles to this myself.

Yes actually I've gone and thought deeply about many different ways. I'm really only doing a 3" body lift, something that's out there right off the aftermarket shelves. However the rear two cab mounts won't be lifted so I'll have a bit more stability out of this.

I'll only have four of the six mounts setup with 3" blocks.

Went to local...well sort of local powder/ceramic coater (finally found one locally sorta) and got a quote on two exhaust manifolds of $160 bucks, and bout same for my 088 Turbo Y pipe and the snail/up/down pipe setup. Not bad but don't know if thats comparable to what you in US pay but it's what I can do here! I may check at the coast as my buddy can transport for me no problem what so ever!

So, friggen cold here I've not touched this what so ever! I'm still doing some work slowly on this though LOL

Friggen cold has me at a loss, no steam cleaning, now painting, nadda.

K nuff for now, thanks for reading!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually considering nickel plating my manifolds. I found several recipes that aren't too bad. I'd do the zinc but it won't take the heat. I have a couple sets to play with. Wouldn't necessarily be shiny, but it wouldn't rust for a while either. I'll let you know how it turns out when and if I get there. :D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually considering nickel plating my manifolds. I found several recipes that aren't too bad. I'd do the zinc but it won't take the heat. I have a couple sets to play with. Wouldn't necessarily be shiny, but it wouldn't rust for a while either. I'll let you know how it turns out when and if I get there. :D

I'm wanting a nice flat black ceramic to keep the heat in the manifolds and turbo, nickle coat would look exquisite but not keep heat in I don't think Like ceramic

Looks like engine gotta get into shop and SOON for tear down and inspection, managed to secured a deal on a HG/VP gaskets from the member here 04_6.0 so I'm set to inspect. THANK YOU 04_6.0 BTW as I did not want to tear it down until Gaskets where in hand, thus alleviating any chance of loss of parts or long term contamination.

I'll get pics once it's in shop and I'm getting it torn down. I'll see about some tests of things like valves when heads on engine etc to try and determine if it can be done safely!

Nuff for now...all stoked to do this !!!!

EDIT

Hmm...wonder how many TECH 101's I can do whilst doing this let me count the ways...

Core plug...aka frost plug installation!

Valve guide test with heads on....maybe

I'm sure I'll figure a couple more out too...:rotflmao

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided today whilst cleaning shop to take and do some small work towards my truck too.

I grabbed my serpentine Alternator bracket and my Carrier fuel pump and got the two to talk to each other nicely!

Here you can see I've got it set on to locate the holes via centre punch for drilling!

You must be registered for see images attach

Got to love the automatic centre punch that makes life so easy!!!

So before I did the centre punching you can see I leveled off the casting with a file so the pump sat flush/square to the bracket. The seam caused it to rock. The bracket was previously sandblasted and semi flat clear coated so before I do mount it on the engine I'll re-clear coat this portion so no corrosion begins.

Thats the two punch marks too you can see nicely

Here I've got it drilled out to 0.250 inches for a 5/16" NC bolt, it should have been 0.2570 actually but I only had a 1/4" bit so it's what it is! The hole on the RIGHT goes right through to the saddle are where the Alt will sit. The one on the LEFT is only through the section to where it is hollow in the casting

Tapping the longer of the two holes, I also ran the tap all the way through...I'm liking the idea of good long bolt in there and lots of ANTI Seize to prevent the corrosion so common with steel into aluminum

I also tapped the other hole however I"m likely going to make a small bar with nut welded on that sits in the hollow to bolt into.

I'll be utilizing some nice Allen or socket head bolts for this setup.

Of all the Carrier pump setups I've seen this setup happened to be one of the nicest installs I've seen. I'm quite anxious to get it all together with that big ass Alt I've go too! LOL

More to come.

Thanks for looking!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice work Al.. Sometimes your work is so nice looking it makes me feel inferior to you....:cry: I get over that feeling really fast...:eek::rotflmao:angel: Actually your work ethics are always great reading. then to see it in pics is the finisher to a great novel your writing for us... We all love a happy ending so get the truck on the road again...:love::thumbsup::thumbsup:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much of an update, but I just tore down the engine that was in the 92 Brown SC AKA Brown Bruin

It was disheartening to see the state this engine was allowed to get too, especially considering the way the top end looked from inside valve covers WOW! This engine was clean!!!!

Now onto the bad...sad sad sad bad

That's what the top of the heads looked like but wow...those bores...guess that happens when you leave out injectors and GP's and even the intake, this is just crap.

This engine is one that got shoved into the truck for scrap ASAP I removed rockers, pushrods, lifters, cam, oil pump and heads kept them and the pan and tossed the block crank and rods/pistons...wasn't fighting them not no way no how!

So I've got some cleanup accomplished, with more to go, it's coming even though a sidestep from panel and paint it's work accomplished that needed to be done!

Thanks for looking at these sad pics :(

Al

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
How is the bottom end?

Once you get the pistons out, its amazing what a small over-bore will clean up!

You've got lots of penetrating fluid and time ... right? :)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't wasting time looking at bottom end, I need scrap gone, and I'm just not wanting to keep crap around.

If the top end was an indication then the bottom end was likely good too.

I'm not going to mess around pounding those out only to find out it needs to be sleeved.

I've got a good running engine, and I've got a factory Turbo Core for rebuild at a later date.

Thus time to collect parts that are worth collecting and toss the rest as I've done.

as I've said many times....like a faller in the forest, cut n move on!

Al

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much of an update, as Ive got lots of stuff going on, however here to speak to the SC on RC frame idea....

Here are the brackets from my Bronco frame that are JUST below back edge of door.

You can see by cutting off the small vertical section one could mount a rubber mount under the cab outboard of the frame as I indicate here

Thus having the mounting brackets ri i i i i i ght about here....

One could in theory with a 3" body lift of the forward mount maybe...just maybe mount a SC on RC frame....

That's my plan if I go this route...stay tuned searching some ***** out big time....something wicked this way may come!

Thanks for looking