Oppertunity

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned my idi for 5 years and have only put 500 miles on it. it is an 87 6.9 with a c6. i finally have a couple of bucks in my pocket and my real dream has always been to have a diesel in my 67 chevy c30 flatbed. I can't do a cummins yet but what about putting the 6.9 in the chevy? I have the old chevy I believe sm265 trans. Is there an adapter plate? should I get a used 4speed out of 460 or old ford diesel? I am on a budget but I love the diesel and its WMO powers. I realize the chevy diesels are junk and this the truck will need to work from time to time.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for decades, ive cursed every hotrodder that put a small block in a 23-32 ford.
i would absolutely love this project.
(besides the chevy part) :D

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure someone on here, Genoightning maybe, had a 7.3 in a suburban or an 80s c30.

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is not a Hot Rod outfit, lol. I have and old trusty chevy work truck that I want to be a dependable Diesel that is WMO friendly. I want to consolidate My loved idi with my favoriate chevy. I am trying to figure out the details, will my old mechinical manual trans work? will the t18-t19 work with my chevy set up? right now i have 3 trucks 2 are parked one I drive I want one good one.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
going to be a bit of fab work.
engine mounts, trans mounts.
you will have to use the IH stuff together.
iif its 4wd i advise a divorced transfer case.
or ford axles. you dont want a driverside transfer with a passenger side pinion.

if 2wd, its just a matter of mounts and driveshaft.
maybe shifter holes cut.
mount a radiator, and you should be good.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't think it would be that hard. Lots of room in the chevy.

I'd use the Ford trans, though I'd want a 5 speed or od. Also would use the ford radiator - I'm sure the chevy one would be too small. Basically use the entire idi powertrain assembly.

I would look into what the chevy rear end ratio is, and the front end rating - those older trucks are likely to have pretty low axle gears and pretty much any gasser truck may need the front end beefed up when you thrown another 500+ lb of engine in.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Genlightening had to trim the frame near the idi starter area and exhaust manifold.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Al_E did it too, with a sleeper and tag axle to boot! Both his and Genlightening's trucks were of the later '73-'87 (well '91 for crew cabs and Burbs) models tho, so different frames than a '67.

As for transmissions, any Ford truck 4-speed will bolt behind the IDI with the factory diesel 4-speed bellhousing - you have a choice of T18, two NP435s, and three T19s there. The NP435 will be as close to your SM420 as you can get tho, on the other end of the spectrum is the diesel-issue T19 with its close ratio that tends to give real nice shift splits but taking off with a load and 3.55 gears is the clutch's worst nightmare. Bottom like pick whatever you can get your hands on for cheap and in good condition. If you go ZF you'll really really want some kind of transfer case behind it, the common version's reverse gear ratio is a murder for clutches and U-joints when truck is loaded.

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great advice, I think i can get a zf cheap but in not into the hydro clutch. I was wanting to stay mechanical however the truck currently has 4:10s and the od would be nice.
I have found that zf here in phx are not super hard to find at pull a parts in the 125-200$ range. I also believe that the zf out of the 460 rig would bolt up with little work. What would I use for a clutch? Will my c6 starter work in the zf?
My ultimate goal is to have a solid diesel truck that will be dependable, pull loads while allowing me to run WMO. my 6.9 is non turbo, nice and simple.
anyone know of videos or links involving transplanting the 6.9 into a non ford?

One last note, my 67 is on a mid 80's dually frame with disk front brakes

Last edited:

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome!, upon further conversations with my friends and father I think I will just keep the c6 trans with the IDI. I will just swap steering columns and get creative. The c6 is supposed to be bulletproof.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One last note, my 67 is on a mid 80's dually frame with disk front brakes
Then GenLightening's thread will be of great help to you, cause same frame.

C6 is a strong transmission, just keep it cool. Why swap columns? Use a floor shifter, much more fun, especially with a manual valve body.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome!, upon further conversations with my friends and father I think I will just keep the c6 trans with the IDI. I will just swap steering columns and get creative. The c6 is supposed to be bulletproof.
Of course it's your truck and your decision, but if you're going to be doing any freeway runs, and especially long distance runs, IMHO you'll really be happier with the ZF. That overdrive gear is solid gold!

The C6 is bulletproof, but it doesn't have a torque converter lockup or an overdrive gear, so you're going to be on the governor at about 70 mph. The engine'll handle it, but you'll be at your wits end at about Hour 3, and fuel mileage is going to seriously suck.

If the truck's really only going to be used for in-city work, the C6 should do you well...

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
You might get help from Chevrolet, of all places. The Chevy 6.2 diesel was not much different from our IDIs (IH supplied, IDI). Perhaps a pick-n-pull has the mounting bits.