Opinion on 1986 F-350 deal

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Ok- most of you know me from the '57 International S-112 onto an E-350 chassis project (6.9L IDI). I am still making progress, but the single digit temperatures have slowed progress significantly. I don't remember a winter this cold here as long as I've lived here (20 yrs).

So I have been without a truck with the intention being to have the '57 done before Christmas. Thats not gonna happen with these temps. I ran accross a local ad for a 1986 F-350 crew cab dually 2-wd with a 6.9L motor and a gear vendor overdrive for $3100. Normally I would not have looked twice at this truck, but I planned to install an overdrive in my '57 anyways, so I went to look at it.

The body is in pretty good shape for its age. The paint is chipped in a few places. The interior is worn, but livable. The woman selling it claims she bought it 6 months ago for her husband to use as a hot-shot truck instead of the semi that was parked in the driveway (to lower his expenses???) but he refused to give up the full size semi truck and is still using it. She claimed that the pump and injectors were all new, and indeed looked to be upon inspection (very clean and obviously a new set of return lines) The ad did not state that it had an ATS turbo, but it did. One oddity- the stereo had been removed and in its place was a set of gauges- pyro, boost and tranny temp.

I decided to take it for a drive- unfortunatley she had started it before I got there. She told me that she plugged the block heater in about an hour before I told her I would be there. It ran out real good. I took it easy while it was cold, as getting on it much put up a nice white cloud. After it warmed up I played with the overdrive. It made quite a difference in engine speed (this truck has the factory tach). The trans shifted really hard. Not sure if that is good or bad??? Getting on it while warmed up left a good cloud of black smoke. It made more power than any IDI I have ever driven. (Not many) One problem was the speedometer was way off. We took it up on the freeway to see how it ran at speed. Following a semi truck that was prob doing 70-75 the Ford speedo was buried past 90.

When I returned to the sellers house I asked her about the speedometer and she did not realize that it was wrong. She showed me a receipt she had for having a local shop replace the speedometer cable and a gear that had to come from Gear Vendors. Other than the heater not blowing very hard and a few lug-nuts missing I couldn't find anything major wrong with the truck. She claims that it has 136,000 miles on it; but she has no way to know if has turned over twice; this is just based on what the previous owner told her. She called her husband when my questions got too much for her and I chatted with him. From the sounds of it, he maintains his own truck in their shop. My guess is that he replaced the pump and injectors. He told me that fuel may be turned up a tad too much and I may want to back it down. He said the rear end had 4:10 gears, new brakes and seals.

I asked him if he had checked the SCA's of the coolant- he had not. He did know what they were (first guy I've talked to who did).
She showed me the receipt for the tires (brand new last month) $1139. She had also just had the steering rag joint replaced.

My intent is to drive it until the '57 is close to being done, then swap the overdrive and tires onto the '57 and sell it. Since I was looking for an overdrive anyway, I could sell the truck for substantially less than the $3000 I am paying and not feel too bad about it.

I'm really on the fence with this and can't decide if it would be a good interim plan or just a waste of precious resource$ that our family could use for the holidays.

Pros-
Runs good
New tires
Gear Vendors Overdrive
Fair condition paint/interior
New pump and injectors
Not rust bucket

Cons-
Long
Possibly just being "flipped" by seller
transmission shifts very hard
Unknown mileage
unknown SCA's
$$$
Front end felt loose at freeway speeds- small vibration in front
Speedo issue
Any insight guys?

:dunno

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that the transmission can be adjusted, another member with an auto tranny could tell ya.

The truck sounds like a pretty good to me. Drive it for awhile, then pull the turbo and overdrive and sell it as a running truck.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would probably jump on it. The turbo and overdrive are worth it.

If it started good with the block heater, I wouldnt be to concerned. Just plug it in.

And I here you on the temps, its about double those temps here and I dont want to go outside and work on my truck LOL

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans shifts hard because when the owner replaced the injection pump he did not adjust the VRV properly - it's now supplying the trans line pressure modulator with too little vacuum (which is what happens when a gasser engine is driven at heavy throttle, since the C6 was designed well before the 6.9 IDI), which results in higher line pressure than needed for the load on the driveline, hence the hard shifts.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I decided to take it for a drive- unfortunatley she had started it before I got there. She told me that she plugged the block heater in about an hour before I told her I would be there. It ran out real good. I took it easy while it was cold, as getting on it much put up a nice white cloud.
Any insight guys?

:dunno

RUN
Anytime a seller has a used diesel hot and ready for you to look at it, walk away and don't look back!
The FIRST rule of thumb when looking at a used diesel is to make sure the owner doesn't fire that thing before you get there and it's ice cold so you can see first cold start. For all you know they had 6 guys over there dragging that thing around for a half hour behind a D9 on a chain in gear to get it started and you wouldn't find out the truth of the matter till you got it home and tried to start it cold the first time and found out that the thing was dead as a doornail

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, not necessarily - I never saw my truck cold-start before I buy it, figured worst case scenario a set of plugs was a phone call away and a new starter would go in there at some point or another anyways... So far so good :D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Worst case scenario: folks try to pass off worn out diesels with no rings left in them to unsuspecting buyers by getting the heap fired up by any means possible before the prospective buyer gets there to witness the carnival of errors required to coerce the old pile of scrap metal to cough over.

A set of plugs or a starter are hardly worst case scenario. Some of the things people do to try to hide starting problems on diesels...I should write a book:rolleyes:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you are right, I keep forgetting how evil some people can be when it comes to making money... And now that I think of it, the first time I saw my truck she did a cold-start, cause I remember walking through the muds to get to her and then the owner pointing out the glowplugs light staying on for 15 seconds and warning me that if she ever starts clicking on and off that's a sign that I need plugs. The second time around (going over to pick her up and drop off my 4x4 as a trade) I had him fire her up and warm her up for me cause it was cold as hell that night, that's what threw me off in my previous post. Guess I lucked out with an honest PO, as it's been almost two years now and thousands and thousands of miles and she's still happily chugging along :D

And yeah, write the book, we'll buy it ;)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your buying a GV, a turbo, and a set of tires with a Truck wrapped around them. You can't go wrong regardless of the cold start issue. I say buy it.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're worried, just go back a start it cold yourself. If they won't let you, then you have an answer.

Otherwise, it seems like a good deal on a decent truck.

Heath

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so whats the problem if the truck has a hard time starting cold? IMO it could just be GP's. My motor is not even broken in yet and when its cold, and if I dont plug it in I have to give it a shot of ether for it to start...

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go back and start it cold, and probably jump on it either way. Sounds like you will easily spend the purchase price on the parts you want off it, but this way you get a free truck with the deal, even if it doesn't start great.

I can't really imagine using one of these as a hot shot truck. I guess it would be totally possible, and probably work pretty well, but not something I would really want to do.

sootman73

Reaction score
well the its not the fact that there is a problem with it starting cold as much as the fact that they dont let you see it start cold. says that they are hiding something and that's a bad deal. it could be a huge problem with bad starter, batteries, GPs, or even the compression of the motor.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I don't really know what "hot shotting" is, so I threw that out there.

I was really disappointed that she started it before I got there- however her husband did tell me that the glow plug controller does not hold the glow plugs on long enough to cold start it and he recommended that a new controller be installed or a "button" wired up.

I am beginning to think of it like many of you have said; I am buying the parts with a truck I can use short-term wrapped around it. Worst case scenario: Swap GVO ($1600 value), tires and wheels ($1000 value), pull turbo ($?), pump ($500), injectors ($250), gauge set ($200) and call the recycler. (I'd like to keep the motor and trans, but I don't have a good place to store them.

My big issue is I REALLY like to buy from someone I can trust... had a bad feeling on this one; then to top that off when we got in our car to leave we found the glovebox open like someone had been looking through it. This was out in farm country at a small house surrounded by hay fields- so we are pretty sure it was the seller. We did take a longer test drive than initially planned due to difficulty finding the freeway on-ramp in an unfamiliar area.

I may just go for it... crap just found a 1991 with 55,000 miles on it- looks brand new for 4k!! (NO overdrive though..):eek::rolleyes: