Opinion on 1986 F-350 deal

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Trans shifts hard because when the owner replaced the injection pump he did not adjust the VRV properly - it's now supplying the trans line pressure modulator with too little vacuum (which is what happens when a gasser engine is driven at heavy throttle, since the C6 was designed well before the 6.9 IDI), which results in higher line pressure than needed for the load on the driveline, hence the hard shifts.

How difficult is adjusting the VRV?

Is there any how-to's in the tech section?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
well the its not the fact that there is a problem with it starting cold as much as the fact that they dont let you see it start cold. says that they are hiding something and that's a bad deal. it could be a huge problem with bad starter, batteries, GPs, or even the compression of the motor.

Bingo! give the man a kewpie doll.

You could not even begin to imagine how much time I spend every year through a European diesel group on the phone and email with people who have just bought cars either in person and more often over ebay where the things were "running fine before" but for some magic reason when they got the things home or more often when the car hauler gets to their house to unload, the things won't start again. 7 out of 10 times the rings are gone and I get sick of having to tell people this, but we go through it by the numbers, some times we get lucky and they are just packed up with carbon and a good cleaning revives them, Sometimes it's something stupid like tightened up valves causing compression loss, but rarely.

These crooked sellers do anything to get the things started to show them off to prospective customers and make videos of the things running to put with their ads on ebay to show how great the things run, not showing what it took to get it started, a lot of times the folks buying the things start getting the bad news from the transport companies a few days out when their * great running * car fails to start at the first switching yard and they get informed over the phone about the transport companies non running car fees that are now going to be added to the original estimate, Either that or they go to pick up the car and it's running when they get there and they try to drive it home , next day at a motel, no go or when they get it home it never starts again and they take it to a local mechanic only to find out that the poor guy has no idea on earth what he's looking at, then I'm giving Euro diesel mechanics 1a over the phone to somebodies mechanic trying to talk them through diagnostics with no proper equipment
Sadly, the people are usually fed up with diesels all together after the experience and sell the cars after they get them running. Very few hang onto the things. THis is where crooks that try to hide problem diesels REALLY make me mad, is in how they damage the reputation for potential diesel owners who go out in good faith trying something new and they get burned bad and they will never be back. They hurt the diesel market as a whole in ways the selfish idiots can't even begin to imagine :backoff

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Well you guys have convinced me not to make a decision until after I get to try it from a cold start!! Thank you.

I really need the truck to work as a daily driver until I get the IH done. Reliability can't be optional.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
On my way to attempt a cold start...

I called and asked her not to touch the truck...other than she will be plugging in the block heater.(Its about 15F outside right now and falling.) I plan to pop the hood and feel the motor and radiator area- if its warm at all I will walk away and never look back. (There are other trucks out there.)

If it works out you guys will see me posting lots of questions!! I am excited about having a running truck again either way!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Block heaters will actually warm up the block and radiator, so that's not an indicator. I'd leave the thing off the power cord entirely, then try to do a full-cold start, cycle the plugs twice if needed (it most likely will be needed) - my truck fires up at -5F on two glowplugs cycles, and she's had a rough life before I get her, so that truck you're looking at should start OK in 15F with two glow cycles.

The VRV is adjusted by looseing the screws that hold it in place and turning it, but someone else here can tell you the exact procedure, as I got the electronic version of that thing cause of my E4OD trans and I haven't done enough VRVs to remember what number to shoot for.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
:thumbsup:

I drove the 80 or so miles up to try a cold start and look it over one more time. First thing I did was pop the hood and feel the exhaust manifolds and around the block- still ice cold! Good. Turn the key- the glow plug light comes on and holds for about 7 seconds. I cranked it and it popped, but no fire. Key back off- then on; glow plug light cycles on and off quickly. I crank it again, again she tries, but no dice.

Seller tells me to give it a little gas as I crank- third time she fires right up! Idles good. Not much coming out the tailpipe- just the normal steam looking stuff.

We check that all the lights work, wipers, sprays, it all checks out good. The VIN matches the title.

I decided to take the chance; I really want the GVO for my '57 anyways. So I paid the lady and she is now mine!!:thumbsup:;Sweet

On the drive home my wife followed me and we investigated the speedometer error via cell phone. At 2000 rpm the truck is running 71 mph with the overdrive engaged. Does this sound about right? Without the overdrive engaged the motor seems to be roaring at any speed above 55 mph. Is it possible that the rear end has 4.56 gears or something??:dunno

I stopped and filled both tanks- took 17 gallons, so I know I got some free fuel! I drove home on the rear tank running 70-80 mph most of the way. The gas gauge dropped like a rock!!-cuss-cuss WTH?? It worried me enough that I pulled into a gas station near my house to fill it and see how terrible the gas mileage was.:confused:

It only took 4.2 gallons. :D The fuel level sender must be "heavily biased". I googled the mileage from the fuel stop at about 65 miles, so that is about 15.5 mpg. Not too bad for a dually crew cab in a 40 mph crosswind. ;Sweet

Will see what the morning brings. I have her plugged in for tonight, but I will have to get it started with no block heater a few times in my travels tomorrow. Thanks for all your help and advice.;Sweet

P.S. I only got on it real hard one time- it pulled all the way to 13lbs of boost. I really don't want to blow a head gasket so I need to stay out of it for now and figure out where this "magic fuel screw" I've heard so much about is located. The pyro ran at 650 degrees for most of the steady hwy run home. Is this about right?

Thanks again!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
She started on the plugs, thats a good sign, She'll give you 13pounds boost, that means shes hotter than a firecracker :eek: You need to back your foot out of that puppy at 10 if you want it to last, then do some digging when you have the time and see if someone put head studs on the thing.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
She started on the plugs, thats a good sign, She'll give you 13pounds boost, that means shes hotter than a firecracker :eek: You need to back your foot out of that puppy at 10 if you want it to last, then do some digging when you have the time and see if someone put head studs on the thing.

Will do!;Sweet

The truck started right up this morning! Better than my gas car! It was in the teens. My first trip was to the gym (getting fat with a desk job LOL). When I went back out to start it again fired right up. The real test will be when I head home from work after 9-10 hours of sitting unplugged, but the initial trials show promise!

6 inches of snow on the morning commute made me wish I had 4wd!! The truck did well until I came to a steep hill that had a stop sign. A little slip-sliding, but we made it.

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically speaking, once you cold start a diesel and it warms up, you are good for the rest of the day. When they sit for hours in the cold is when you have problems.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal!! I'm glad you decided to buy her and give her a good home. While it is obviously excellent advise about the warm start/cold start thing - people can be morons no doubt; I'm glad you didn't walk away and miss out on a great truck. I must admit when I bought mine it was already running when I got there and the tow truck the guy used to jump it was still parked there. Old fella told me it had a couple glow plugs out and he wasn't driving it and it had been sitting so she wouldn't start when cold.....anyway I broke all the rules cuz I went ahead and bought it anyways. Next morning no start....that afternoon changed glow plugs that were dead....three or four if I remember right....anyway next morning started up pretty as can be. She has been a great truck for 5 years now!! Anyway there are some honest people in the world. Great find on yours, especially with all the extra goodies!!!

Ok I gotta ask and show my ignorance; where the heck is Utard?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Good deal!!

Ok I gotta ask and show my ignorance; where the heck is Utard?

People from Utah "Utards".:D

I have found that if I put Utah some people make assumptions (which are not true in my case) Ended up here and the Mo's are mostly good folks if you make it clear from the get-go that you aren't interested.
Utards are folks that live here but have no affiliation with them - in fact we tend to be average beer drinking, motorcycle riding, hunting, fishing, boating, hiking, camping, adventure loving people who are attracted by the mountains, deserts and beautiful lakes in the area. Lots to do and beautiful too.

Hope that 'splains it!

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
;Sweet Here's a couple snap shots I took today...she's real dirty from the salty roads around here. Cold start today wasn't too bad.

My wife 'borrowed' the truck one day last week to help my daughter move into her new house. Between the two of them they managed to scrape the pass side running board and crack the fiberglass on one side of the dually fender...oh well, I guess she's broken in now.LOL;p

Next time I will take the day off and help them!

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

You must be registered for see images attach