ooops

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a new injector pump put in, and the lines were leaking into the motor oil. I lost pressure severely at idle. Took it back to be re- tightend still did the same replaced the oil and I am running on the (r) of normal how many lbs of oil pressure am I running?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How were the injector lines leaking in to the engine? Installing a real gauge is the only way to truly know what your oil pressure is.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
If this is for the 94 in your sig, then the "gauge" is little more than an idiot light. It is pretty easy to add an aftermarket real gauge, the OEM port is right there at the turbo. If for your 87, you may have a non-idiot gauge but like you said, what does a reading of "r" really mean? It means you need a real gauge! LOL

If you're getting fuel in your oil, your lift pump is more likely the culprit.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly the factory dash gauges are only pointers. Ford felt that anything in the letters NORMAL was safe to drive. No 2 trucks will run the same temps or tell you the same. They are close but not something to worry bout. As for what pressure you might be seeing. Sorry its impossible to say. The gauge sender and design is to tell you there is at least 7 lbs of pressure but not much more.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Indeed. You have 7 or more psi if it reads anything. The earlier trucks had a real sender to the dummy gauge and at least indicate a difference at various rpm and cold vs hot idle. I suspect they changed to the on/off switches in 87 with the body/dash change.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would bet the diaphragm in the lift pump let go.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

i second this.

the only other way to get a substantial amount of diesel into the crank case is if your injectION pump rear seal(s) were not installed.

or you have ghost pistons.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's the lift pump as stated above. It is much less likely that it is leaking from the lines and getting in to the engine.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed. You have 7 or more psi if it reads anything. The earlier trucks had a real sender to the dummy gauge and at least indicate a difference at various rpm and cold vs hot idle. I suspect they changed to the on/off switches in 87 with the body/dash change.

dunk,

That is exactly when it happened. Bullnose and earlier 86 down have a sender. The exception to that is the vans, they have a real gauge till 91 (body change for the van)

One thing you can do on the 87 and up is get a sender for an 83-86 IDI (its a real sender, not a switch) and bridge the correct resistor o the instrument panel (its on the net...) and now the brick and obs have a needle that moves. Still no numbers, but it at least moves and shows a pressure variance......

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dunk,

That is exactly when it happened. Bullnose and earlier 86 down have a sender. The exception to that is the vans, they have a real gauge till 91 (body change for the van)

One thing you can do on the 87 and up is get a sender for an 83-86 IDI (its a real sender, not a switch) and bridge the correct resistor o the instrument panel (its on the net...) and now the brick and obs have a needle that moves. Still no numbers, but it at least moves and shows a pressure variance......

Actually '87 is not the changeover year, '87 F-series trucks still had the proper sender and gauge setup (and I think so did some early '88s but I'm not 100% sure on them). And this is true for both diesel and gasoline trucks alike, if it has a '87 production date it will have the goodies.

You are correct on being able to modifying the circuit board for the "idiot" gauges. In our IDI we ran a modified cluster for a while till we found the proper '87 cluster and dropped that in, IIRC both worked equally well but I hate soldering so having a solder-less cluster was simply the better option.

Still, it is quite true that there is no set correlation between the gauge readings and the actual pressure the sender sees. They are related yes (on a modified cluster or a '87 or older one), but as said earlier no two trucks will show exactly alike. We have a mechanical pressure gauge (old-school stuff, with the 1/8" NPT port allowing use of braided stainless line, not the built-in plastic junk) T-eed into the same engine port that feeds the factory gauge, if I remember tomorrow I can compare readings between the two...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any chance you have a stock mechanical lift pump AND an electric lift pump running at the same time??? If so thats the fastest way to rupture the mechanical lift pump diaphragm and fill the oil pan with diesel.