ok then, BACK TO THE 1200hp IDI

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I already know 2 guys that puked the new 6.7 powerstrokes at 6 months and 75k miles hotshotting RVs. I ain't touching that engine.

On a positive note, they were doing a heck of a lot better on fuel mileage than the 6.0 and 6.4 crowd was.

I have read some other horro stories as well. They don't seem as bad as a 6.0 though LOL

FordGuy100

Reaction score
And I honestly can't say if deleting emissions will improve them or not. Best bet is to get a loaded up truck like you want, except gasser. The powerstroke option is what, $8-9k? the new 6.2 gas gets decent mileage. Or you could take that 8-9k and put a diesel with a known longevity record in it. Just saying.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
I hope Ford makes a better engine next time, or at least gets IH back.......Maybe they should talk to CAT.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope Ford makes a better engine next time, or at least gets IH back.......Maybe they should talk to CAT.

I wish Ford would get it right the first time, not next time, or mabey next time or mabey the next time.

IIRC CAT told Ford no because they didn't want to be in the pickup market years ago but that's a moot point now because CAT no longer builds highway engines. That was announced June 13th '08. There's nothing past the EPA '07 models in a CAT.

Navistar is building the CAT branded engines for the Caterpillar branded vocational trucks.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score

You do know the design behind the 1st gen powerstrokes was a joint venture by Ford/IH and CAT? (IIRC) I dunno, those seemed to go really well for almost a decade. Blame the problem at the source if you are gonna do that, EPA regulations.

I don't know where you guys are getting your ammo to stomp the new 6.7L into the ground...I haven't heard any major negative things about them. Even from the ranchers in my area that bought them for work trucks and have since beat the living hell out of them. I'm talking not a single panel on that truck hasn't been mangled, dented or scraped. They fly by my old IDI with their tailpipe dragging the ground (falling off) hauling 4 round bales at a time on their flatbed truck-box.
They are certainly not dropping like flies the way the 6.0s were but instead seem to be holding up like the old 7.3s to me. Yes, even the mighty 7.3L had its share of little gremlins here and there, but it still was a great workhorse.
Lets give some food for thought here...head gaskets are a pretty common problem on the old 6.9L and 7.3L had notable cavitation issues. Does that mean all IDIs, which you guys are discussing in this very thread about increasing power on, are absolute junk? cookoo The IDIs weren't completely problem free either...

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I don't think anyone builds a new engine without consulting with Cat these days. they just seem to have all the bags of tricks that everyone wants a peek at. The endurance race diesels that win everything they enter that were built by audi were actualy a joint venture in developement with Cat. It makes sense with all the variety of different engines for different types of specialized equipment that cat has built, that they would have such an extensive amount of research built up by now.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do know the design behind the 1st gen powerstrokes was a joint venture by Ford/IH and CAT? (IIRC) I dunno, those seemed to go really well for almost a decade. Blame the problem at the source if you are gonna do that, EPA regulations.

I don't know where you guys are getting your ammo to stomp the new 6.7L into the ground...

CAT introduced the HEUI injection system in 93, It was used in the IH 7.3 and the CAT 3126. IDK what else CAT had a hand in with the IH 7.3.

And to answer your second question on my part anyways... Right from the mouth of 2 guys that I know who chucked rods out the bottom and not from lurking around the forums. I ain't paid any attention to the forums on this engine. They were very happy with them and doing well until that happened. I'm hearing both good and bad from RV transporters I know.

I might not be hotshotting RVs anymore but I made a lot of friends I call and keep in touch with over the 3 years I delivered campers.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score

I don't know about them asking for help from Cat and IH, I could see CAT lending a hand but why would IH help, Ford gave them a big "F U" when the 6.0 started failing.

I do know it was Ford and an engineering company out of Austria (AVL) that designed the whole engine.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about them asking for help from Cat and IH, I could see CAT lending a hand but why would IH help, Ford gave them a big "F U" when the 6.0 started failing.

I do know it was Ford and an engineering company out of Austria (AVL) that designed the whole engine.

He's talking about the 1st generation powerstroke, the 7.3

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I have to admit that it seems a shame that these high HP threads are costing us a few good members. I'm not sure why this topic can't be discussed without such sensitivity. I like to dream. Heck, we all do. Hypermax seems to be able to convert dreams into reality, due in large part to their ability to do stuff in-house for their own purposes. When it comes to making something that can be sold, the dream hits the trash can for most. Just look at what it costs to convert a PSD to an inline mechanical pump. :dunno It is not knowledge, or ability that is preventing people from going beyond the edge of our known universe. It is money. I offer a pump that will push the boundary, yet I have no buyers. :dunno Rather than try something that has a reasonable chance of working, people want to reinvent the wheel. Why? Because of money. They basically want to get a pump out of a junkyard and use that because "it will work better". No. It's not that. It's because "I can afford that". So the quest to get something for nothing continues. Hypermax's 1200 HP motor holds no secrets. It's probably a $50,000 engine. Come up with that kind of coin, and you can have one too. :dunno

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score

I read about that as well. You can give a big thank you to AVL for helping Ford getting these engines (6.7) quiet as all get out. I heard one at a gas station the other day.....I had to walk around to the tailpipe to make sure it was running it was so damn quiet. I love the rattle of an old diesel as much as the next guy...but sometimes a quiet one like that is what's needed. (IE toll booth, drivethru, thinking, etc.) In all honesty, I'd LOVE to see a Ford built inline 6....I'm sure if they did that and made it a proven engine that A)it would get decent mileage and B) it would probably sell like hotcakes. Because, let's be honest, people are only buying dodges for the Cummins cookoo....Cummins is the only one offering an inline 6 banger for 3/4 ton and up trucks.....everything else around it is junk. The transmissions (read automatics) are JUNK, the dashes crack, the axles are JUNK...everything is built so damn cheap and bends/breaks easily. Dodge broke the mold when they wrapped a piece of gold with a big pile of doo doo. (Sorry if I'm offending anyone LOL) ood thing it's not hard to find the gold in there with that **** ass Cummins rattle.-Drool

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online