ok then, BACK TO THE 1200hp IDI

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
i dont know what yall are talking about. i would be happy with a 450-500 ft lb motor. who cares bout the hp.

+1

Just interested in what I can pull at 2300-3000 rpm. An IDI that had to spin over 4000 rpm would be useless to me. I'm more inclined to look at ways to get boost up at low rpms; that is the kind of performance we can use.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want to say that I really agree with Aric's assessment of the situation regarding air in and air out as the limiting factor we're up against. The true outside the box thinking will be the person who adapts a better turbo, one that can at least hold 20-25 PSI and remain well within it's efficiency range while doing so. A great leap forward would be an "OB special" bolt on turbo kit for those with the time and money to go a bit beyond an ATS, Banks, or Hypermax kit. You still need the Moose, DPS or your individually sourced similar fuel system products but at least you'll use them much more efficiently at that point. Lets just get an IDI to the same power level as a 94-97 PSD that is vaguely stock but has the easy mods (Intake, exhaust, mild tune) like Russ and some of the guys that used to drive IDIs and threw down high 200s and low 300s at the Bowling Green rally. That would be enough for me and most here. I think it can be done with a ground up designed turbo system, a PSD 6637 intake mod, and a DPS or Moose fuel system.... That recipe should easily get 250+HP/550+tq. How long will it hold together...who knows. We need some test mules. For now, my next project is the 6637 intake, if I had studs, I might do the DPS fuel system, but right now that kind of boost might blow the heads off, so until I can afford to build an engine, I'm going to continue to sound like an armchair engine builder.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I just want to say that I really agree with Aric's assessment of the situation regarding air in and air out as the limiting factor we're up against. The true outside the box thinking will be the person who adapts a better turbo, one that can at least hold 20-25 PSI and remain well within it's efficiency range while doing so. A great leap forward would be an "OB special" bolt on turbo kit for those with the time and money to go a bit beyond an ATS, Banks, or Hypermax kit. You still need the Moose, DPS or your individually sourced similar fuel system products but at least you'll use them much more efficiently at that point. Lets just get an IDI to the same power level as a 94-97 PSD that is vaguely stock but has the easy mods (Intake, exhaust, mild tune) like Russ and some of the guys that used to drive IDIs and threw down high 200s and low 300s at the Bowling Green rally. That would be enough for me and most here. I think it can be done with a ground up designed turbo system, a PSD 6637 intake mod, and a DPS or Moose fuel system.... That recipe should easily get 250+HP/550+tq. How long will it hold together...who knows. We need some test mules. For now, my next project is the 6637 intake, if I had studs, I might do the DPS fuel system, but right now that kind of boost might blow the heads off, so until I can afford to build an engine, I'm going to continue to sound like an armchair engine builder.

+1

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont know what yall are talking about. i would be happy with a 450-500 ft lb motor. who cares bout the hp.

hey i don't even need that lol.we can only go around 45mph (sometimes on the larger roads 55) around here.
all i want is 20+ MPG while @ 16k gross going uphill and id be happy.you guys can have all the power lol.:rotflmao

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Oh no it was before the 6.UH OH :rotflmao . I was talking about the first gen 7.3L PSD, thanks others for chiming in that caught it:

I saw that a few hours later and didn't bother to fix my mistake, Guss my brain was just stuck on 6.7's sense that's what we were talking about ;Sweet

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
maybe it's just me but i dont see how 20 lbs of boost causes pitting....? that looks more like corrosion?

Can you then explain how corrosion makes better since in a running engine? The pitting from piston wear at high boost makes sense to me... :dunno Could be a combination of things...one thing I can think of could be fuel quality. That engine did have 157k before the high boost experiment began.

I saw that a few hours later and didn't bother to fix my mistake, Guss my brain was just stuck on 6.7's sense that's what we were talking about ;Sweet

Its all good, no worries. ;Sweet

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I looked at those pistons and have to wonder what all else was done. Did they advance the timing? Did something get sucked down the intake? It seems that most of the "wear" is near the valves or the precup opening. I won't discredit what they say since most of the damage looks like spauling concrete...you know, when you get to close to it with a cutting torch.

SWS

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those of you who remember the Argve and the Enterprise 1, remember seeing a more pronounced cylinder top erosion in the form of a "cone" of severe pitting on the piston face at the top spreading to the bottom. Boost pressures were "normal" ie. not exceeding 15psi, but the ****/water injection quantity was almost measured at the "gallons per mile". We'll never really know what caused his motor failure but a probable cause is excessive water injection. Somewhere in the archives the pics are still around. If someone has them, post them. they are impressive to view and to thank the lord it wasn't your motor.:eek:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, in the case of the E1 it could have been that the water droplets at that velocity acted like beads of blast material, same thing SWS said regarding the DPS test mule. It is always hard to keep dirt/silicates out of these engines and turbos. Something like that really would have been just like a blast cabinet with high boost and lots of fuel. I'd seen those pistons and they are somewhat reassuring that what I want to do can be done. If I dare try it on a non studded engine with 220K miles.... probably not.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to me, that pitting looks like they were running the EGT's at or very close to the upper end of the threshold far too often. extreme temperatures coupled with the increased boost pressures could very probably have removed the material.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online