ok then, BACK TO THE 1200hp IDI

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
corey theres a lot of 6.2 6.5 stuff were decades behind in the aftermarket and now its up to us not the aftermarket to catch up

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Ha ha Corey, that video has already been posted back on page 2(?)

One of the other helpful reasons why the 6.7 has very low turbo lag is the twin compressor wheel setup. One for low end boost and one for mid/upper boost.

There is no doubt in my mind that DIing these engines would give some better performance....cost effective for the average us though? Nah....Here's a WILD, out from left field, idea. What about somehow fitting a carburetor onto the factory intake in addition to the Injectors. Run the mechanical FP to the carb and another electric to the IP. You think that may cause a runaway engine? Like I said...just something that popped into my crazy brain.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Adding a turbo to a higher milage engine will be okay. As long as you do not do anything stupid with it (same as in NA fashion) there will not be a problem.

I have to wonder why we are trying to make so much HP with these engines? I got one specifically to pull a few things, run on oil, and be dead nuts reliable. I do not want 500 HP under the hood of this thing. I would just like it to pull its self out of its own way when it is loaded, and keep on truckin.

SWS

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Adding a turbo to a higher milage engine will be okay. As long as you do not do anything stupid with it (same as in NA fashion) there will not be a problem.

I have to wonder why we are trying to make so much HP with these engines? I got one specifically to pull a few things, run on oil, and be dead nuts reliable. I do not want 500 HP under the hood of this thing. I would just like it to pull its self out of its own way when it is loaded, and keep on truckin.

SWS

Thank you!

I was thinking the same thing and I was just waiting to see if someone would say it or not.

Really people, you can either go broke trying to make huge HP out of these engines, or you can buy a Powerstroke/Cummins.

For me I'd buy a Powerstroke because it's in a Ford.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

SWS

For a lot of us, we want to know what IS possible even though there are only a select few who will actually "pay to play" and push the envelope well beyond what most of us think is possible.

Having owned an NA 90 IDI, a 2000 PSD, A 2006 PSD, a 98 F800 with a 12 valve cummins and now my 2004.5 Dodge with the 5.9 Cummins I can truely understand why the IDI crowd is looking for simple low cost reliable performance and yet dreaming of insane power for bragging rights.

Being able to push a button for around 500 HP and 1000tq is nice but when you run numbers close to that like pushing the button for the crazy larry tune on an engine that's already putting out 300 hp and 600 tq, a pickup just feels like something's gonna let go when you mash the go pedal. You can actually feel the truck twisting the frame.

Having used the 2006 psd, the '98 12 valve and the 2004.5 cummins to hotshot RVs professionally usually running 24 - 28k gross combination weight. I can honestly say most would be happy with 300 - 350 hp and 600 - 700 tq. It seems to be a really nice range for towing effortlesly.

Of course towing RVs at 26k gross with my '99 Freightliner Century with a 430 hp C12 CAT with 1650 tq, a 13 speed, air ride and a jake brake was a lot more fun.

And of course.....There IS someone out there that just won't be satisfied until they spend $30k on a sleeved 7.3 IDI in a '90 brick nose crew cab dually to get 1500 hp and 3000 tq to tow an MTD push mower on a 300 lb 8' harbor freight trailer 1/4 mile in 8 seconds while turning the sky pitch black for 10 square miles.

annnnnnnnnnd....... When that isn't fast enough, they'll drop more $$$ to put jet engines in it.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not unless its a 2011+ PSD.:D
edit;
ahh shucks never mind i misread lol.

I already know 2 guys that puked the new 6.7 powerstrokes at 6 months and 75k miles hotshotting RVs. I ain't touching that engine.

On a positive note, they were doing a heck of a lot better on fuel mileage than the 6.0 and 6.4 crowd was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle