Ok next level of performance parts.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys, the 7.3 head studs should be good to go here in a week or 2 if they pass there pull test. Moving on this is a great upgrade but now its time for something better as far as head gaskets go. I would like for cometic to make head gaskets for the 7.3IDI. They currently make them for 7.3 powerjokes but this doesn't help us. I would pull my motor yet again just to put in cometic head gaskets for ultra high boost. With head studs and Cometic style head gaskets I think these IDI's could run 20-25psi reliably (which after all is the best part of these old motors, reliability). Im not sure how to do it. But I would like to see if we could all send emails expressing interest in these gaskets or something. I know if they had enough interest they would make them. I already told them I would send them a new set of fel-pros I have for a mock of whats needed. If we had cometics and head studs these trucks could open up a new level of power. What do you think?

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
the response I got from them was that they don't have the tooling for our motor.

If we deluge them with calls, that might change.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Indulge my ignorance. What is it about Cometic that would make them the vendor of choice. Also, do you think that studs and a new gasket design would be able to withstand 20-25 psi reliably? If so, why? Not trying to be a smartass, just curious. That could be a huge performance boost if pulled off.

Tom

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Just read the other thread about your studs all the way thru. Hope the testing goes well! This could be the answer to one of our "missing links."LOL

Tom

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cometic head gasket is a multi layered gasket composed of steel layers and sandwiched in layers with gasket material and special compounds. The steel layers do not allow the gasket to push out or distort especially under high boost. Many new motors are using the same concept with stock gaskets. They are proven under severe boost pressure. Having this style of a head gasket is almost as good as head studs themselves. They would make high boost a reality for an IDI and it would be a reliable way to accomplish this.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cometic head gasket is a multi layered gasket composed of steel layers and sandwiched in layers with gasket material and special compounds. The steel layers do not allow the gasket to push out or distort especially under high boost. Many new motors are using the same concept with stock gaskets. They are proven under severe boost pressure. Having this style of a head gasket is almost as good as head studs themselves. They would make high boost a reality for an IDI and it would be a reliable way to accomplish this.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
those gaskets coupled with milled pistions and better intake valley with exhaust gaskets will happily see 20-25 psi (so someone on FTE said).

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Indulge my ignorance. What is it about Cometic that would make them the vendor of choice. Also, do you think that studs and a new gasket design would be able to withstand 20-25 psi reliably? If so, why? Not trying to be a smartass, just curious. That could be a huge performance boost if pulled off.

Tom
They make custom multi layer steel gaskets. they are basically a series of thin steel shims fastened together and very thinly coated with viton. A MLS gasket will hold up to oodles more pressure than a heavily coated factory type gasket. Only drawback to MLS gaskets is that your block and head surfaces have to be perfect, or they will leak, but if your surfaces are perfect ( and I mean darn near mirror finish smooth ) MLS gaskets can hold up to insanely high pressures for a very long time.
Another drawback is price. I don't know what Cometic gets for custom gaskets, but I know that Volvo changed the factory gaskets on their car diesels from a composition to a MLS gasket and a single MLS head gasket for a straight 6 runs about $230 :eek:

---------Robert

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Felpro has a steel layer in their gaskets and are around 75 thousands thick. If you can get Cometic to make up some 85 or 95 thousands thick head gaskets that may well be the answer to lowering the compression numbers. When I talked to them and others nobody seemed interested in making anuthing for our motors no matter how many I wanted.cookoo

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They need allot of response to get them motivated to make these gaskets. They told me the only custom gasket they would make for me is the copper. Now the other option is Fel-pro, they have started to come out with a line up of MLS gaskets for a few popular motors like 302's and modular motors. Since they already have a gasket for the IDI it would seem like they could easily make them in the MLS style.