Oilburners

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im glad i was told about this site. Ive been over at TDS for a couple years now and all i ever heard about was the "other site" but no names. Then the other day somebody ( dont want to say who, dont want to get anybody in trouble over at TDS) sent me an email about Oilburners. This is definatly an IDI site. I dont have a truck yet but im looking. Im only 15 for now and have a couple years before i drive on the road. Everyone who actually knows what they are talking about is over here now. I have learned so much from everyone here in that past couple years. I plan on going to a tech school after High School for Diesel. I want to work on trucks and equipment once I get out of HS.
Thanks for all the information :hail :hail
Chris

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Chris. When you get a truck, you should be well educated on the pros and cons because of this site.

akoldnav

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Chris, A IDI was my first truck to, Still got it but she needs new hg's. I learnt alot from these guys except how to spell

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!! Happy to have you here...

15 is as good as any age to get bit by the diesel bug :D I was actually about the same age as you when I got bit playing with marine diesels on Sea Scout boats...that was about 10 years ago now, and the bug hasn't gone away yet.

This is probably the best IDI resource on the Internet...and growing every day! :cool

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got bit by the diesel bug a couple years ago. When I was 13 I worked at a construction/excavating company in the yard with a really good mechanic. Learned alot doing that. They had 7 or 8 Mack RD tandem dumps that we did quite a bit of work on. Brakes, clutches, transmisions, engines and other smaller stuff. Also a lot of work on Cat equipment. Thats what lead me to wanting to be a diesel mechanic. The people on this site also had a lot to do with it. Between here and TDS i really have learned alot about these old diesels.

Chris

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris, welcome! When I was in high school, I had my eyes set on being a diesel mechanic, and going to work on the railroad. I wanted to work on the really big stuff. Fate changed my course, but I still think it would have been a good way to make a living. Good luck with it.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Welcome Chris! Sounds like you're a young man with a plan! I'm sure you'll find the perfect truck to get started.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Chris. An IDI is a fine choice for a truck. Listen to all the Obi-wans in here, they know of what they speak.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My first truck was a 56 Ford pickup with a 272 "Y" block that had a rod hanging out the block. That was 1966. I loved that truck when I got it running. I have always had a truck and hope I always will. P.S. Welcome to the better site for IDI information.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Welcome, Chris. Being a high schoolteacher it's nice to see a young person appreciate simple things like these old trucks instead of wandering the halls with a stupid Ipod hanging out of their ears all dang day! :backoff These are the guys to learn from. I got a late start in the Brotherhood, only four years ago but the learning curve was very steep. You've already got your feet wet so when you earn money for your own truck you'll be miles ahead of me! ;Sweet Let's see. When I was 15 I think the only small diesels were the GM 350 conversions. :puke: Well, all I wanted to do then was chase skirts anyway, but that's a story for another time. :Sly

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site.i believe i was the one who sent you here.dont worry about getting me in trouble over there,ive already been banned so it wont matter.

but yes the idis are great engines.i love mine. ;Sweet

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK Rich, I didnt want to post anything and get you in trouble over there. Your right about most kids listenin to rap on their ipods and having their mommy and daddy buying them brand new cars. The only music I listen to is country and I dont have an Ipod. This site is more like friends talkin to each other than just straight technical talk which is really nice to see. Im glad I was told about this site. Thanks for being so friendly!

Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk