oil pumps

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Can we still get new oil pumps from the dealerships for our engines? Dont wana get an aftermarket one.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Probably not but please call and ask anyway. The stock factory oil pumps usually don't need to be replaced because they were designed and built so well. What does wear out is the spring in the oil pressure regulater and that drops thew oil pressure. What happens is the spring is moving up and down regulating pressure. That rubs the sides of the valve. The spring wire thickness can become half its original thickness. There is no repair. Only replacement of the rear oil cooler header and thats expensive..

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Probably not but please call and ask anyway. The stock factory oil pumps usually don't need to be replaced because they were designed and built so well. What does wear out is the spring in the oil pressure regulater and that drops thew oil pressure. What happens is the spring is moving up and down regulating pressure. That rubs the sides of the valve. The spring wire thickness can become half its original thickness. There is no repair. Only replacement of the rear oil cooler header and thats expensive..

Thanks. Reason im considering a new one is because I have 2 engines. 1 threw a rod 10yrs ago and sat since. I belive it got ran out of oil so that pump my not be to good. The other engine that I am picking up from the machine shop tomorow, sat for like 8 years and within the last year it sat out uncovered and water and ice filled the crank case so I dont know what that may do. I havnt really looked at them too close but can these be taken apart and checked?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no reuse your original unless its worn out, it likely is not
U haul had a couple new ones. If not listed message frank and he may dig one up for you.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes. Oil cooler headers are still sold by Ford and International. So is the cooler bundle. If the engine your picking up has a three bolt front header on it then that engine was in a van. Thats cooler wont fit a truck so you will need both the front and back headers. Usually the bundles are ok but check it to see if any metal in in it...

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Yes. Oil cooler headers are still sold by Ford and International. So is the cooler bundle. If the engine your picking up has a three bolt front header on it then that engine was in a van. Thats cooler wont fit a truck so you will need both the front and back headers. Usually the bundles are ok but check it to see if any metal in in it...

The engine was in a bus so its prolly the three bolt but I dont remember right now.