Oil leak at Lift pump?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first, I thought it might have been the oil pan gasket or main seal, but after checking and cleaning a few spots on the engine over the last few days, I think the lift pump is leaking engine oil. So before digging in, maybe someone can give me a sanity check:

1. Is this a common problem?

2. Are there any good brands of lift pumps left? This one was only a few years old.

3. Are the electric pumps any better for longevity?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1, yes, they're made to start leaking engine oil when the seal gets compromised, so you know it's bad.

#2, there's a recent thread about this, though I can't remember the name right now, and we're currently waiting on a proven answer to this very question. So......maybe.

#3 opinions are like noses, we've all got one and they smell. Ive decided I like the regular mechanical pump.

Edit, the thread is called "new mechanical lift pump"

Tizzy

Reaction score
I put a Carter in my truck as a replacement recently...it is working fine. I also ordered a Ford pump from the provided site link...while I can't attest to where it was manufactured..it appears a true Ford replacement, though a little pricy. Just wanted to post for your awareness.

Attachments

• PXL_20230325_023502682.jpg
    PXL_20230325_023502682.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 7

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lift pump itself will only leak diesel but if the gasket goes out or the bolts back out it will dump as it’s right next to the cam gear I had that happen and it was a doosey
+1 on the carter lift pump I had 3 parts store lift pumps that failed just after a couple thousand miles each but I finally caved for the carter and it’s going 8k miles strong

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading threads elsewhere that there should be two seals on these; one is the diaphragm and the other seals the arm from the crank case. Then there is a weep hole in the housing in between to prevent cross contamination of fluids if either seal fails. However, I can't confirm if this is the case on this particular lift pump since the other examples I read up on were gas engines.

My engine doesn't normally use oil and the level has been stable for the last week while I was trying to track down the source of the leak.

I kind of like the idea of staying mechanical, if a decent quality pump can still be found. Interestingly, Carter is the cheapest pump listed on Rockauto at the moment.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a NOS/OEM Ford Lift Pump at a dealer in Michigan. They had one on the shelf, and was delivered yesterday afternoon from the Brown truck.
Paid full retail, and looks like the box was on the shelf the past 15 years.

Took it out of the box, and no Ford part #`s or anything to ID it.

Found another last night, NOS Parts, we`ll see if I get an e-mail...NLA or on it`s way.

There are a few left out there, just gotta keep poking around, and calling.

I have the 85 and 86, so want parts on the shelf when I need them, especially OEM.

Goat

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a NOS/OEM Ford Lift Pump at a dealer in Michigan. They had one on the shelf, and was delivered yesterday afternoon from the Brown truck.
Paid full retail, and looks like the box was on the shelf the past 15 years.

Took it out of the box, and no Ford part #`s or anything to ID it.

Found another last night, NOS Parts, we`ll see if I get an e-mail...NLA or on it`s way.

There are a few left out there, just gotta keep poking around, and calling.

I have the 85 and 86, so want parts on the shelf when I need them, especially OEM.

Goat
Agree 100%. I'm starting to stock spares in my shop as well. Might just follow Tizzy's lead and get a Carter pump then try to source a ford OEM pump. I'm now regretting ever replacing my original lift pump. At the time I thought it was a good idea as a preventive measure. Since then, I've now gone through 2 new pumps in less than 5 years.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the 86 back in July 2014 with 192K miles for $1800. Now up to 335K. What ever pump was on it lasted till last Jan 5/22 when I noticed the bottom wet but not dripping. Replaced it, might have got it at RA or O`Really`s. Probably a Chicom.

I dug back through the 3K Pic. on my phone and finally found it...LOL
I take pictures of every project I do.
The Picture of it and the OEM one I just got. look the same. Both have a straight lever, instead of the bent one I see some post and wonder if it will work.

I don`t know which was the original OEM lever.

Goat

Last edited:

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The armature changed though the years oem has sharp bends but now it’s straitened out

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
carter is no better these days, a positive thing I can say is that they are atleast interested in feedback.

This isn’t in the IDI but same concept, their pivot arm tolerance is poor so it let the plunger drop out on a brand new. Replacement number 2, the arm snapped off into the oil pan and I had to drop the oil pan. I didn’t even bother with lift pump #3.

I found a fuel shop in Arizona that rebuilt the factory

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like its confirmed that the pump was bad. I bought a "Spectra Premium" pump, simply because that's what was one the shelf but will keep an eye out for something better as a spare.

See attached for what the old one looked like. The weep hole had some oil around it but because of how hidden the pump is in the engine, its impossible to get eyes on that spot. When I backfed some compressed air into the fuel fitting, oil oozed out from around the crimp. The engine oil doesn't feel or look diluted, but I'm going to change it anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online