Oil leaking around my IP and the gear housing

firfyter

Reaction score
Recently I had a substantial oil leak and tracked it down to the oring that seals between the IP and the gear housing. The leak was fixed for about 2 months and now it is seeping out again though not as bad as before. I just want it not to leak so my question is: Does anyone know if there is one type of o ring that is better than another? I was very careful installing the pump and thoroughly greased the oring before installing it so that it wouldn't be scratched or even rubbed so I am confused as to why it is now leaking again.

87 F350 Crew cab 6.9 with ATS turbo

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the studs in the gear housing that the IP mounts to. I had one come loose and it would leak oil. I thought initially it was the o-ring on the IP and replaced it, like yourself .The oil would run under the IP and drip off the end of it, looking just like a bad o-ring. After further investigation I noticed one of the lower studs was loose enough to turn by hand. I was just going to replace the gear housing but decided to use some" GOOD" RTV and tighten the stud down. No more leak, been about 6 months. If it happens to leak down the road I will probably just replace the housing. Hope this helps.

firfyter

Reaction score
Are you talking about these three studs?
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk