Oil Filters- What do you Use?

What brand Oil filter do you use on your IDI?

• Total voters

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wix,napa,carquest, all same filter .I also use fleetguard when the ih dealer has them on sale.
Bought a case of some knock off brand before uhaul was on ebay and they were 4 each, cut one apart it was a damn good filter. ran one 8k and cut it open still good , no paper degredation.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure on the FL1995 7.3 PSD Filter....

but on the 6.0 Oil and Fuel Filters...

The Motorcraft, Ford, IH and Fram (one rare case that a Fram is ok) are all made by RACOR. I have compared the Motorcraft and Fram ones and they are EXACTALLY the same. The 6.0 Motorcraft Oil and Fuel Filters are NOT made by Purolator, the Purolator Fuel Filters do not have the water membrane in them.... look at my Fuel Filter Warning thread in the 6.0 Forum.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all the filters listed are on the LOWER end of the quality spectrum as far as efficiency goes, this is based on OE requierments for a filter wich is poor in my opinion.
Now based on a regular oil and filter change interval these filters is the bread and butter of the good ole USA :rotflmao

But as with anything we have we always wonder is there something that has more VALUE than what I am using?

Ok I wont be advertising any one product but I will leave this thread with something of VALUE take it or LEAVE it.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/24534/cheap-oil-filters

Javier

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
DO NOT GO TO WAL-MART. Advance Auto sells the Motorcraft FL-1995 ford like $12 I think. I run the FL-1995 and Rotella Full Synthetic 5W-40 (It must not taste as good as the 15W-40 because my truck doesn't drink any now ;Sweet)

Is there something wrong with Wal-Mart?
I'm getting my FL-1995 there for $10, much cheaper than any other place in town. I get the Tech brand oil there for $10/gallon also, sometimes on sale for $9.

Burt.
(A bitter gun clinger, Bible believer, Constitution supporter, Florida *******).

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all the filters listed are on the LOWER end of the quality spectrum as far as efficiency goes, this is based on OE requierments for a filter wich is poor in my opinion.
Now based on a regular oil and filter change interval these filters is the bread and butter of the good ole USA :rotflmao

But as with anything we have we always wonder is there something that has more VALUE than what I am using?

Ok I wont be advertising any one product but I will leave this thread with something of VALUE take it or LEAVE it.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/24534/cheap-oil-filters

Javier

The link you provided does nothing but throw out common sense statements. Of course sub-standard oil and filters cost you more money on the long run. DUH:dunno

The question is what is good and what isnt. I dont rely upon price and brand names to determine quality. In this day and age it cannot be done that way with businesses and corporations running solely on profit margins.

Research the web and you will find without a doubt that not only are oil formulations and filters completely inconsistant from year to year, the high quality high priced brands often dont do any better than cheaper lines do...

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Napa Pstrokes, and John Deere 15w40 at about 11 bucks a gal. But that is bulk price, and from the farm barrel:sly
Matthew

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I use Amsoil filters. Only ones out there rated for 25k miles service. In a jam I'll use Donaldson or Baldwin filters on some vehicles , but they are only rated for about half as many miles. After that choices run to wix then for gas burners running dino, sometimes a purolator premium.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil Extended performance filter for 12.99 from Auto Zone. M601 the larger one for powerstroke engines. The M401 is whats recommended for 7.3n/a

check out this web site and there review below
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml

Comments:
The Mobil 1 appears to be of excellent quality. The Bosch, Mobil 1, and STP appear to all use identical materials and construction, with only the Mobil 1 having a different filter media (appears to be coated- darker color). I can't comment on the effectiveness or any additional filtering or benefit to the Mobil 1 filter, though Mobil 1 claims it's more effective. The pleat seperation/uniformity appears better than the or Bosch filter. The Bosch, Mobil 1, and STP bypass valve utilizes a stiffer spring than any of the others and a rubber seat/seal which should help prevent leakage. Check out the last pic for a shot of a used Mobil 1- this is a 1 month old filter with 1000 hard miles and conventional (non synthetic) oil. Let this be a reminder to you to change your filter regularly!

Last edited:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
i cant see why any aftermarket brand is better than the oem brand. (except for the high dollar amsoil). I buy the motorcraft filter from wallmart for less than 10 bucks.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gatorman I don't look for better I just don't want cheap crap. That's what you have to watch out for. Companies decide they can save twenty cents on a filter by using a different part that turns out to be junk. and either bypassing all the trash into your engine or coming apart.

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually go with a Motorcraft filter but the last time I changed the oil, all I could find was a Purolator. I don't know squat about them but it's on there.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Motorcraft filters are made by purolator, so if they are cheaper, buy them. I look for purolator filters, whether they are off brands by them or puralator themselves.

IMHO, they are the best cost effecient filter out there. I have been noticing in my area that they are getting harder to find though.

Just cause it says WIX doesnt mean its the best. I saw a comparison of 20 different series of filters, and wix made some good ones, and some that werent any better than a fram. Some of the fram grey boxed filters(tough gaurd series I think) were actually pretty good....

Purolator's house brands like group 7, powerflo, etc have all went down the tube.

Take for example the FL1A motorcraft. THe purolator house brands all shrank in size! The FL820S was replaced by a filter that handles 4 times the applications and is also half the size. Not gonna fly in my book.

The regular purolator premium plus and pureone are just fine.
On my truck, i bought like 40 baldwin filters from uhaul when they were onsale. My personal cars get motorcraft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online