Oil Filter - FL784 or FL1995?

Rob94F250

Reaction score
1994 7.3 IDI turbo 2WD with E4OD

I am currently using the Ford FL784 filter. I was wondering if anyone is using the taller PStroke FL1995 filter? It looks like the brake lines and twin I beam would make for a very tight fit. I wouldn't mind having the extra capacity of the FL1995, but not if it wears a hole in it as the engine shakes on the mounts, assuming it would even go on.

As always, thank you for the input.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a tight squeeze to get it installed, but once it's in there, the FL-1995 works beautifully on my truck. I've been using the FL-1995 ever since I got my hands on the truck, with no ill effects...I say go for it :cool

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on the truck. Some say there is ample clearance for the FL-1995 (as in my case), while others say it is difficult or impossible to put on. If the shoe fits, wear it!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both my vans have the PowerStroke filter with no clearance issues. A few people report that they have interference - depends on the truck. If it will fit on yours, use it.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Rob,

use the PSD filter and don't look back. It fits great on my truck that's just like yours. When installing gently push the brake line forward out of the way. No clearance issues. I use the NAPA Gold 1734, made by Wix. Fill it up before you put it on just be careful it stays upright! :D

Rob94F250

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback!

I suspect there may be a bit more room on the 4X4s with the solid axle, compared to the 2WDs, since the links on the twin I beam seem to come back a fair ways. That said, I see there are a few guys with 2WDs using the FL1995, so I will have to give it a try.

Troutwest66, I agree with filling the filter when you can do so (filter installs vertically). I have been doing it for years on the GM small blocks - instant oil pressure, instead of waiting for the filter to fill up before it can feed the engine...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm one of the guys that has had cleance issues with the FL1995. I'm going to try it again with teh NAPA version. It really looks like it should fit, I can't see what is getting in the way, it just has not threaded on in the past. maybe I just need to push some of those tranny cooling lines around a bit more. If you have clearnace for teh filter use it. Ithas better filtration which will be good for your turbo as well as your engine and an extra quart of oil cpacity just to make you feel better. Good luck,
J.D.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Diesel JD said:
I'm one of the guys that has had cleance issues with the FL1995. I'm going to try it again with teh NAPA version. It really looks like it should fit, I can't see what is getting in the way, it just has not threaded on in the past. maybe I just need to push some of those tranny cooling lines around a bit more. If you have clearnace for teh filter use it. Ithas better filtration which will be good for your turbo as well as your engine and an extra quart of oil cpacity just to make you feel better. Good luck,
J.D.

I do have to get the threads "just right" to get the filter on but once it gets started it's good to go.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've never had a problem getting the 1994 on my 2WD. With the banks turbo, I feel it's a great benefit to have the finer filtering capability. I've never tried one on my 85NA 4X2

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could not get one on my truck. Looking at the replies, it seems all of those that are running it have 94 trucks. Mine is an 88.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle