Oil filter brand comparision

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion on using a NAPA oil filter ( premium quality ) verses a wix filter of premium quality. Napa almost wants to say they are the same but what does the forum Gods say ???? I am running 1,000,000 mile Rotella and alway been happy with that along with a wix filter. Today was oil change day and I could not get a wix so I went to napa

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the Frams have a bad rep here. Napa and Wix are made at the same place, Carquest too. I typically used Napa premium or Motorcraft FL1995 but have used K&N and Mobil 1. I now use an amsoil filter only because I bought a bunch of oil to go synthetic on my truck and the PSD amsoil filter wasn't much more than a stock PSD filter.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
napa and carquest both a wix filters...thats all i run anymore...i used to run the purolators from autozone with good results

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that just because a product ( filter -- in our case ) is manufactured by a particular company, does not necessarily mean that it is manufactured to the same standards; it could be better or it may be not as good.

The only real way to know is to acquire samples of all filters in question, cut the metal housings away, and disect the internals.

Myself, I prefer genuine FleetGuard filters, with Baldwin being my second choice and Donaldson the third, then WIX.

http://www.fleetguardfilters.net/

http://www.baldwinfilters.com/

http://www.donaldson.com/en/index.html

I buy all my filters from this guy and save a ton of money :

http://www.filterbarn.com/

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Yall have walmarts up there? Mine down here sells the FL-1995 Motocraft PSD filter for 10 bucks. yes it fits on a idi and holds an extra quart of oil. I think it has a finer micron rating though dont hold me to that. cant go wrong with OEM. (well you can with the gauges

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I always been running a PDS filter on mine, its FL1995, a lot of us are running that, its motorcraft brand also. You are able to run an extra quart with it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The Motorcraft 1995 does have a finer micron filter medis. Ford did that because of the turbos on the then new powerstrokes. Thats all I use on my rig. Someday I may try something else but for now it works for me....:sly

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking of trying the Wix 1734XE. High efficiency version with a 10 micron rating instead of 25. Its $46 at napa though.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just something to keep in mind. . . We all want the best cleanest oil for our rigs, but there is a reason some filters "only" go to 25 micron. If you use that nice 10 micron filter and your rig is on that like to turn the oil black in just a few hundred miles you could easily clog that filter. Then the bypass will open and you will be running unfiltered (basically) until your next oil change. This is especially true for us sad NA folks who have slightly less complete combustion and therefor higher chance of having crap in our oil. Again, just something to keep in mind when determining what micron rating you want on your flow through oil filter.

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These filters have no bypass in them. another thing to look at is the beta rating, if your into that sorta stuff. I have ran some of the XE filters on Cat truck engines with good results, and those filters were 5 micron.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These filters have no bypass in them. another thing to look at is the beta rating, if your into that sorta stuff. I have ran some of the XE filters on Cat truck engines with good results, and those filters were 5 micron.

there is a bypass in the filter neck, not in the filter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online