obs with 4r100 swap

Dijon Mustud

Reaction score
wazzap my smokey amigos, i recently totaled my 99 powerstroke after having the 4r100 beefed up. so im looking into slapping it in my 94 obs, im wondering if i just swapped the pcm and if need be the harness do i also have to swap the solenoids and other goodies? i know ive seen this thread somewhere on here but im technologically slow so figured i wouldnt lose my own

Dijon Mustud

Reaction score
but do i need to change any solenoids if im also swapping computers? it would be like putting the older engine in the 99 truck at that point yes? or running on the ground on a pallet...

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wazzap my smokey amigos, i recently totaled my 99 powerstroke after having the 4r100 beefed up. so im looking into slapping it in my 94 obs, im wondering if i just swapped the pcm and if need be the harness do i also have to swap the solenoids and other goodies? i know ive seen this thread somewhere on here but im technologically slow so figured i wouldnt lose my own

TC lockup control would be an issue.

The E4OD has an on/off solenoid.

The 4R100 has a pulse width modulation solenoid.

Not sure how you would get around that with an OBS PCM.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ what he said above. The bang-bang versus PWM signal needed to lock up the torque converter has been documented as a struggle. I think it can be done but that's the biggest fly in the ointment so to speak.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Early or late 99? Either way you cannot use the PCM.

Early 99 uses non PWM so you could just change out the DTRS and solneoid pack.
Late 99 is PWM. You will need to change out the solenoid pack DTRS, and front pump.

Dijon Mustud

Reaction score
thanks for the 411 fellas looks like ill be taking both transmissions apart then. pretty sure its a early model 99 so at least there's that, ill let ya know how it turns out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88