99 PSD Auto 4x4 to 2WD ZF5 Swap

1983idi

Reaction score
Ok so I have done a ton of searching before posting this so please don't bash me if the info is out there I just missed it. Would be great if this swap had been done and documented before but I can't seem to find anything out there. I am going to try and document this as well as I can. If this actually works it can really save some guys a bunch of money that want to go from auto to manual but dont have thousands to spend on a transmission set-up.

I have a 99 7.3 PSD with the 4R100. Trans is out and its going to cost 2500 or so for a rebuild. I was looking at a ZF6 swap which was about 2800 when I added the cost up. Not bad BUT i stumbled across a ZF5 2WD truck in the junkyard when getting other parts and pulled it out. Cost me 150 bucks. So to swap the ZF5 into the powerstroke truck I think I have it mostly figured out except for the pcm.

PCM Swap- Is this actually needed and why?

Besides that I think I have what I need or know what I need listed below but if something looks wrong please let me know and thanks for any help!

HAVE
-ZF5 2WD Trans
-ZF5 Slave Cylinder & Hydraulic Line
-ZF5 Inspection Cover
-IDI Adaptor/Sandwich Plate
-OBS Cab floor pan for manual trans (I am betting on having to weld/cut/bend this to get it to work in the SD cab)

NEED TO GET
-95-97 PSD Flywheel & Clutch
-99-03 Super Duty Clutch Pedal & Bracket
-99-03 Master Cylinder (Possibly hydraulic line)
-Custom Driveshaft
-Manual PCM (Maybe)
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
You really need the 4wd ZF5... it will mate direct to the NV271/273 tcase.

1983idi

Reaction score
You really need the 4wd ZF5... it will mate direct to the NV271/273 tcase.

AH.... I probably should have looked at the transmission for a minute or two and I might have realized that it didn't have a removable tailshaft. I think I'll just go 2wd then. Trying to keep cost down and 4x4 zf5 hard to find and usually cost enough that a zf6 swap would make more sense.

Still needing to know about if the PCM swap in 100% necessary and why it's done so I can decide if thats something i need to do or not.

Thanks for the reply u2slow..... for real tho I2slow.... as i should have figured that out. It's blindingly obvious now.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
4wd ZF5's are very common around here, so there's cheap ones now again. (Usually from dead or rusted out IDI trucks.) Mine were $100-200. 2wd is tough to find though.

ZF6's cost a fortune as you say - plus you need the matching-spline tcase.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The auto PCM can be flashed by any tuner to make it work as a manual trans PCM.

You will get a ton of codes for the missing auto transmission sensors, and the engine will act weird around 40mph or so when it's looking for the TC lockup.

1983idi

Reaction score
The auto PCM can be flashed by any tuner to make it work as a manual trans PCM.

You will get a ton of codes for the missing auto transmission sensors, and the engine will act weird around 40mph or so when it's looking for the TC lockup.
Thanks for that info! I also found that some people are saying to change the wiring harness for the swap? Does anyone know if this is necessary? The only things I could see needing to be re-wired would be the reverse switch and the neutral safety switch changed to a clutch switch. But i'm not sure if a zf6 would have any other sensors as I have never dealt with one.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's it. I wouldn't even bother with the clutch safety switch IMO.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
It's a good idea to wire the neutral safety... I was very lucky to not have my knee crushed from a truck starting in gear. I only got pinned between vehicles and very badly bruised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online