NOS 7.3 turbo engein

buckgnarly

Reaction score
Greetings! Long time lurker who has a semi restored 89 7.3 IDI for a few years now....this forum has been the best for info for that truck for the past few years, so finally joined.....
I also got a newly aquired 93 7.3 F250 with 369k that has lost some compression on 2 cylinders. I am rebuilding that truck as well, and I came across a NOS 7.3 pseudo turbo....I say pseudo because the injectors and blocks are not turbo, yet this engine has the turbo parts on it. Story behind it is, it came from a tech school in southern NH that got it donated from a trucking company. Sat for years, and long story short, I got it.
So, I have new injectors for it, got the rest of the parts (valve covers, CDR box, crossover pipe,etc) but wondering if there are any seals I should do before throwing this thing in. Also,any other ideas on the history of how this came about, i.e. Navistar putting out early turbo IDIs? The number on the block does not indicate turbo but is close to the numbers that I have read about on the internets....

You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting score
Looks nice, wish I had the heat shields.
Hit the stickies and tech section (in case you have not) before ya stuff it in...

Fwiw, my kid went to wyotech around the time these were going stroke, and the bench mules they trained on were brand new (the dinger was they had been apart a hunnered an ten times.
Each class tore em down and re asembeled them.
So I would think about doing a tear down and recheck the guts.
Reseal, and pre lube the rotating assembly.
Check rings , and timing ect.

buckgnarly

Reaction score
Interesting score
Looks nice, wish I had the heat shields.
Hit the stickies and tech section (in case you have not) before ya stuff it in...

Fwiw, my kid went to wyotech around the time these were going stroke, and the bench mules they trained on were brand new (the dinger was they had been apart a hunnered an ten times.
Each class tore em down and re asembeled them.
So I would think about doing a tear down and recheck the guts.
Reseal, and pre lube the rotating assembly.
Check rings , and timing ect.

I'll be taking off the valve covers anyway, probably be putting some more paint on the oil pan (can never have enough rustproofing on that up here) for sure. The thing is the paint is still mint on the whole thing, it looks like it survived shop kids, which I know all too well!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the block not being a turbo block, the only thing you really need to worry about is getting the matching flywheel for a non-turbo spec application...

Otherwise, I might check the return lines; if the hose is old and hard, replace it. If not, I'd probably pull the caps and grease the O-rings with wheel bearing grease and reinstall the caps, just as a preventative measure.

Injectors not being 'turbo' spec - no problem. Once you are ready, fire it on your test stand there(just make sure she's full of oil, add starter and connect up a jerry can of fuel, and use a little ether to get it started - you obviously don't have an engine harness on it). You can see how it runs, make sure everything is OK, then install.

Once you take it for a drive, you should be able to adjust the IP to 'enough fuel' spec for good power; I doubt it'll be turned up as much as it should.

Either way... Nice find!

Black dawg

Reaction score
any body ever see those ex manifold heat shields before??

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are from ford, for running on a test stand. They wouldnt fit in an engine bay from the ones Ive seen, basically just to keep the fish from burning the hands on the obviously toasty manifolds.

I would tear that engine completely down before starting it, who knows what its hiding inside.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to bad them shield s wont work...Anyone try ceramic coating the upper exhaust system?
Sure worked wonders on my Harley..

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I took Wes's advice and ceramic coated my exhaust manifolds and turbo mount for the first gen Banks I'm getting ready to install on my truck. Later, I'm going to do the same to the crossover/Y pipe and at least the upper half of my down pipe. I believe that Wes ceramic coated the entire hot side of Rewbrooks's exhaust. I could be wrong on that since it's been a while since I read it.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to do my manifolds if the local powder coat guy will hurry up with the equipment. I want mine done. Going to wrap them as best I can for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.