Nice to be here!

avaug87

Reaction score
Hello all, after about 3 years of dreaming about it I finally picked up my first diesel. A 87 6.9. Honestly couldn't be happier! I'm also happy to be a part of this group, so I can bother you all with my problems! I already ordered some new glow plugs, and did a cool fix on the no dash light problem. I'm so excited to start my journey with this pickup. I see it going some great places in the next year. Be ready.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    747.7 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 20

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice looking truck. However, it is not an 87. With that body style and dash, it is and 83 - 86. 87 would be a bricknose, with the large flat nose and big headlights. This is a slantnose or bullnose.

Welcome to the forum!

avaug87

Reaction score
Well that brings a first question, I bought glow plugs that said 87-94 6.9/7.3. Did I just throw 60 bucks down the drain? Haha! and I'm from the klamath basin!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome.
those glow plugs will work. youre ok.
you havnt waited any money (yet)
nice truck, those dash lights would be too bright for me, but if you like them, thats all that matters.

avaug87

Reaction score
No I ordered some wellmans, I saw somewhere on here that they were pretty good.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Nice looking truck. Are those lights stick on or did you put a filter on the dash bulbs?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. As for the year of the truck compared to the front end. Just look at the drivers side door tag. these trucks can run many different years sheet metal. The may look like one year but actually are another year all together. As for Welman plugs.. Sad to say they are not very good. They are much better than champion or autolites but not near the quality of the Motorcraft Beru ZD( plugs. Depending on what type of controller for the glow plugs you might need the ZD1A spade type plugs. The ZD9 plugs are the bullet type.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The '87 6.9 uses the updated solid state controller used on all the 7.3s, so I assume the glow plugs would be bullet connectors. The Wellmans aren't so bad. I ran them for a couple of years (though with a push button control) and they came out no problem. I don't know how well they work with the solid state controller.
Oops, I forgot we aren't so sure what year truck this is. The front clip is '86 and older. The type of glow plug controller would be a clue. The sticker in the door jamb will show the build date.

Last edited:

avaug87

Reaction score
It's the 86 spade type connectors. It is push button controlled though. I'll have to take the hit on the few dollars spent return shipping the new ones, and be sure to get the zd1a plugs. It makes me cringe whenever I go out to start it in the morning and I have to use a little starting fluid.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
It's the 86 spade type connectors. It is push button controlled though. I'll have to take the hit on the few dollars spent return shipping the new ones, and be sure to get the zd1a plugs.

Or, since you don't need the 6 volt plugs anyway because you're on pushbutton and don't have to make the gp controller happy, keep those and make a new harness with bullet connectors. I built one for my '90 for about $25 in materials.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try telling david85 and others the wellmans ain't so bad.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?52072-Wellman-glowplugs

send them back and get some beru's brother.

The Wellmans aren't so bad. I ran them for a couple of years (though with a push button control) and they came out no problem. I don't know how well they work with the solid state controller.
some people have run 6.oh no diesel engines issue free too,however this doesn't negate the fact ford had massive amounts of warranty work and it caused massive lawsuits and soiled a long well established relationship between ford and navistar.
i guess it's all about how much risk to reward you think there is.ask David to post a pic of his pistons for ya.it's not pretty.

lets go pats! ;Sweet

Last edited:

avaug87

Reaction score
I'm just gonna go ahead and grab me some zd1a's from o'reillys tonight. It'd be about the same cost, anyways.

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome I would like to know how you did the lights also my eye are getting a little old the more light the better.