Wellman glowplugs???

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 088 wellman plugs I got cost me an engine rebuild after all of them lost their heads. They may have changed since then and they might be good now. I don't know.

All I can say is do a test on them before installing anything other than beru plugs in your truck. Get one or two extra and see how they fail if over heated. If they swell up until they pop, then I wouldn't use them

Also be aware that the solid state controller on 87 and up trucks will expect a certain type of feedback resistance when powering the glow plug circuit. Some aftermarket plugs produce a different temperature coefficient that can throw the cycle timing off.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't really going to get any, I was trolling on ebay.
Thought someone here had some experience with em.
:hail thanks again OB

DragRag

Reaction score
The collective wisdom here is that Motorcraft is the only plug to use. I totally disagree with that, but I would not use those for sure. I have had great success with Delco and Bosch. I will not use Wellman or Autolite though. I do have an extremely large fleet of IDI's on the road so I try different things, especially when they save me money in the grand scheme. If you have one truck, use the most expensive **** on earth by all means. When you have about 20 trucks on the road at the same time, it's time to think cost.....

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
The collective wisdom here is that Motorcraft is the only plug to use. I totally disagree with that, but I would not use those for sure. I have had great success with Delco and Bosch. I will not use Wellman or Autolite though. I do have an extremely large fleet of IDI's on the road so I try different things, especially when they save me money in the grand scheme. If you have one truck, use the most expensive **** on earth by all means. When you have about 20 trucks on the road at the same time, it's time to think cost.....

I currently have delco 60G's on push button. Yes its much longer of glow time but she starts much easier with the slow heat saturation effect. I let one glow for over 240 seconds and it was still glowing with no swelling. Again this is only my result.

I have some factory international glow plugs, some are bosch, some were beru. I sold my last set of beru to Agnem. I still have a set of bosch, they are sleeved in INternational packaging so they can't be all that bad.

Motorcraft/beru is fine and dandy. I do like how my truck lights off with the delco gp's.

No wellmans. Had to pull a head on my 91 thanks to them. No champs or autoshit either.

About the delcos, be careful i have seen some that are Indian built. The good ones are made in italy.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did try bosch equivalent to the zd1-A once, but had a bad controller at the time so I can't **** on them the way I do with wellmans. Nothing swelled or failed to come out in once piece, but instead that was a slow death over time where they gradually stopped working.

I would still be interested in experimenting with a true dual coil glow plug some day if I can ever find them. Local shops here don't carry them.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DragRag,
I've been using Autolites with ok results, how long should they last??
Good point about having many vs. one.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Lets see, I got a mix of Bosch, autolights, champions, I did have wellmans to but those didn't last long and I think I still got some motorcafts in there to.

Never had a problem with any of 'em. Never had any swell on me, or break off.

DragRag

Reaction score
DragRag,

I really don't know how long they will last, swelling has been an issue with those along with the Champions as some have pointed out. I have just had fine luck with the Bosch, AC and Beru's. Let's face it, there are bad batches with all of them though. There have been bad Beru's lately also. Maybe that means there could be some good Champions out there to, kind of doubt it though. :sly But I digress.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
DragRag,

I say get them out before winter. It would be such a shame to have to pull heads for something like broken plugs. I have had Autolites in VW and GM diesels and they failed after about 6 months of good service. They didn't break off but they just went one after another so I swaped em out for something else. I didn't know about the Autolite curse at that time. Thats why I put them un to start with, cheap to!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
From my experiance... I have seen champions and autolites come out of my "other engine" once..... I have those two reasons to run Berus.... I run the best now... Its Berus or nothing for good reasons... Run the best or sweat with the rest.....:D

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never seen a swollen Bosch nor recall hearing of any. Dead sure, they all die eventually but only seen these die when glow time was too high. Using Berus now to see how they last but still have all 8 Bosch that worked before. Haven't tested with my IR thermometer but my 'wild ass guess' is that Bosch run hotter and therefore die faster than Berus which can be lit longer since they heat up slower. I judge this because with two trucks it only took 5 seconds manually to be running with Bosch. And only 4 seconds to be red hot with a battery. Haven't tried it with the Berus yet but it's taken longer.

I made the switch to manual vs auto gp contoller when I found 3 different glow plugs in my truck. A champion or two, several autolites, and I forget what else. Most were dead and the wait to start light didn't work, relay was original and barely worked. I can count pretty darn reliable plus with a CD in my stereo it counts for me. I trust that over electronics from before 1987. Capacitor aging affects how accurate things are along with many ther issues, not to mention these controllers prefer a certain glowplug and throw a fit when one dies. Yes I could've upgraded to the solid state controller but it is still has problems, it isn't hard to push a button for a few seconds. I do anyway to start my truck since i've already busted the cast ignition lever (which was replaced but again a button is easier than a steering column). And they are side by side :). Sorry for ramblin

Thus I would say Bosch yes for manual setups (if you can reliably count or use a radio clock ETC), Beru for automated glowplugs. Just IMO, your experiences may vary:p

Heard mixed reviews about wellman but when I searched google there were some people liking the dual coils I think... Google. It's been a while since I researched them, since I've never had need I didn't try them and the other two I use work fine and bosch is cheap ;)

Last edited:

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard about an ag plug that is designed to run 100% of the time that will fit, but I haven't been able to run it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online

No members online now.