New to me Toyo M55's

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my wife works for a friend whom I have worked for previously and occassionaly still do.

He had a nice truck..it was wrecked 74 Hiboy F250 that had some nice...real nice :sly Toyo M55 in 255x85x16's on Amercian Eagle alloy rims.

Three tyres have between 14/32" to 15/32'" the fourth is cut Cut CUT bad and not worth while, and that rim is a little tweaked. I'm going to see about having it straightened and install that rim on the rear.

I can purchase a new M55 locally for about 280 bucks, or best price non local 262.

I'll be going to town with one of the three tyres, asap as one tyre store has a different brand of tyre in same size and if it's similar in height I'll buy it 75 bucks for a good spare. Then run it missmatched till I can afford the new M55.

So here are two mounted up tonight as my sweet Rose:love::love: brought them home today!

Ya decent tread left...really decent!;Sweet
You must be registered for see images attach

Good looking wheels on the truck, beat the crap outta the other ones I had on the front...

Straight on with the new tyres on looking good!

and with the old tyres on 33x12.50x16.5 and they was ONLY 31" tall:eek: same as my 235x85x16's height

So at the least I'll have some decent tyres for the winter and most of next year too...woot!

Al

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love those wheels too! I've been looking for some used wheels like that with no luck so far. Don't care too much for those stock wheels and hubcaps on my rig but guess it does the job.

94_dieselpower

Reaction score
Those are some darn good tires! The truck I drove at work this past summer had em. They did great in the mud (for what they are), they handled very good on the road, and best of all, I never had them "chunk-out" driving on gravel. I would easily put 100 miles of gravel road driving a day on those tires and they held up great! Never got a flat either. Definitely worth the money IMO.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RiotWarrior,
How do you get all these good deals? First good deal on hoist, IIRC, now these sweet tires and rims?
Let us know how the difference in tire height works, I've got 235/85/16, that new size is what I'd like to go to next.

94 dieselpower, the driving on gravel roads and not having chunks out caught my eye. Was that because of the brand of tire?? Toyo??? Correct??

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love those wheels too! I've been looking for some used wheels like that with no luck so far. Don't care too much for those stock wheels and hubcaps on my rig but guess it does the job.
i have a set on my suburban that is going on a service truck so it will make the truck more sellable. they can be sold separately.
16x8 on std 8 bolt pattern.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RiotWarrior,
How do you get all these good deals? First good deal on hoist, IIRC, now these sweet tires and rims?
Let us know how the difference in tire height works, I've got 235/85/16, that new size is what I'd like to go to next.

94 dieselpower, the driving on gravel roads and not having chunks out caught my eye. Was that because of the brand of tire?? Toyo??? Correct??

I'm not a fancy wheel kinda guy NORMALLY but...but...when it's cheaper to buy tyre and wheel combo than pay to peel them off and then mount em...shop wisely I say;Sweet

height difference compared to 235x85x16 is near an inch...so 1/2" to the truck...truck sees only the static loaded radius...thus axle center line to ground only that affects gearing. I think 1/2" difference is well within tolerances of off road use for the short time I'll be setup this way.

You don't wanna know that I paid $80.00 for three tyres:eek:....not each...but for the three of them...and $15.00 a rim so $140.00 bucks...for 4 rims and 3 tyres!:eek::sly

I get the good deals cause I'm a patient man whom hunts for this ***** like ****hawks on crabs or a grizzly on a berry patch!

:rotflmao
THE NUMBER ONE REASON for deals...
:love:WIFE SUPPORTS MY HABBIT!;Sweet

Last edited:

94_dieselpower

Reaction score
Brad S.

They are in fact a Toyo brand. They are the M-55. As far as the tires not "chunking", I think it is just the compound of the rubber. It is really tough. Another person I worked with was running the Toyo A/T tires and within 6 months the tires were completely trashed. They had huge chunks missing, and the tires were just unsafe to use anymore. I drove the truck for 3.5 months and never had a problem with them. And they had definitely been used a lot longer before I drove the truck. I should mention it was a F-150.

I know of another another truck (F-350) that has them on the rear duals and same story. They are holding up great, no chunks missing, and the majority of the time it is on gravel. They have been on there for at least three years.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably shouldn't mention someone in Williams just sold a set of 16s for 225. I was busy putting my ip in and missed them

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Al, you will be plenty happy with the service life of those tires. In 6 months you will be wondering if they have even wore down any. Hopefully my next set of 285/75-16's will me the M-55 tires. As Calvin said, they wear like iron and have a very well balanced tread for winter snow/mud/street. Good luck with them;Sweet and yes, a wifey that is on the same page as you are is a blessing from the man above.:hail

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Oh yeah, a moment of silence for the '74 hi-boy please.:cry: It just sounds terrible to lose a truck like that after all those years.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, a moment of silence for the '74 hi-boy please.:cry: It just sounds terrible to lose a truck like that after all those years.
Truck was CHERRY...just absolutely sweet....incredibley well done resto with light mods.

Was two tone green/white with full XLT trim package in good shape. Truck was magnificent no rust, looked like a frame off resto had an aftermarket rear bumper and a few other subtle mods. D$$ HD closed knuckle had the factory hydro assist ram steering, 360 or 390 good runner, NP435 and divorced 205.

It was wrecked so bad frame got bent cab ripped off frame mounts...was on 3" body lift, completely totaled the truck body wise, was some small usable parts, engine checks out ok rear diff rear bumper ok and ya my new to me tyres...

Yes when I saw that truck come in I was deeply saddened by it as it's a favorite type of Ford for me, I almost...BLED a tear!

I had read and read about the M55 before I asked about them, and when he said 80 bucks..I'm in!

I'm 2-maybe 3/32 wear from a new tyre...so that's awesome! By one new one asap and be golden, I was thinking of having them siped for better winter grip.

Looking for chains that fit them too...four chains in total.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of shot tyre,

The old front''s and the old old fronts...LOL

This rim is a tad...just a wee bit tweaked in two spots..but this tyre is SHOT...NFG..curb side
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=59837

here is same tyre as above...inside sidewall not curb side...LOL

These 33x12.50x16.5's on right...a little wider tread and a little shorter overall. I think these would suck in winter...they sold today, 3 tyres $150 bucks...woo hoo
You must be registered for see images

Attachments

• DSC_2353_zps2b886f59.jpg
    DSC_2353_zps2b886f59.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_2352_zps9cf710ce.jpg
    DSC_2352_zps9cf710ce.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_2357_zps45687336.jpg
    DSC_2357_zps45687336.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_2360_zpse5f4ed12.jpg