New shoes!

moto-xking1313

Reaction score
i have heard good things about treadwright and was goin to get soem new wheels but before i do i thot id ask if anyone has found 35's in retreads?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey ghunt hows the tires holding up? hows the tread wearing for you?

I don't do much driving anymore...wish I could remember the mileage when I put these tires on, but they seem to be holding up alright. I think I have around 5000-6000 miles on them.

I had to rotate them over the summer because the rear tires, especially the right rear, had noticeably less tread than the fronts...and the left front had MORE tread than all the other tires :dunno Still have about 1/4" of tread on the most worn tire and around 3/8" on the others.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bfg makes crap tires nowadays. Everyone I know has nothing but problems with them.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
bfg is way over priced, maxxis buckshot mudder is about the only way to go, at black cat tire co. in dunlap i can get 285/75/16 buckshot for 154 each, i have had a set for 3 years the same set! been on 2 different truck, about to go on another truck, 3 tires have 70-75 percent tread, 1 has about 50-55 percent left it was the passenger side front tires, my last truck had front end problems bad!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just ordered 2--235/85R/16 for the front of my "99" PSD for $79.10 ea. shipping by Fed-X was expensive $45.96 I thought to Ohio. At least there is no sales tax. Ordered them on Wrangler casings if they are available. By the way they were on sale at that price.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had really good luck with dunlop radial rover RT's on my 04 Ford, they wore very good and had 15,000 miles on them when I got rid of the truck but still looked close to new, they had good traction and didn't look awful, my wife liked them because they weren't noisy like the goodyear wranglers on my old blue truck. I just happened upon the tires for a really good price or I would have probably never even looked at them, but I was very pleased with them. Now I just have to find some tires for a good deal for my new to me truck, it's got a new set of firestone's on it but they need to be a hair bigger.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheels look nice. However, personally I would not be caught dead with Yokahama mama's on my truck. Folks that see them won't know they are retreads.
I would not be caught with retreads at least on the front.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is, in many states, but not all. These ain't CDL-class trucks tho, we can slide with a lot that the big guys can't (goes the other way round too tho). And while we're on topic of tires, any leads on a good cheap tire in the 235/85-16 load range E that gives decent traction in mud and snow? I'll need 4 soon, they're going in the rear of my truck, I already got two brand new highway-friendly steer tires so that's taken care of.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
My point is is there were any major issues with these retreads people would be jumping all over the producers. Instead, many Off Road magazines have written lengthy articles about them with no significant negatives.

Just saying that in the year+ time that I have been reading about them I have YET to hear someone complain about a faulty tire.

THad

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My point is is there were any major issues with these retreads people would be jumping all over the producers. Instead, many Off Road magazines have written lengthy articles about them with no significant negatives.

Just saying that in the year+ time that I have been reading about them I have YET to hear someone complain about a faulty tire.

THad

I worked at a tire store one time that sold new tires as well as used as well as remolds (recapped) except that these were bead to bead remolds. Every single one of them that they sold came back a few weeks later as defective. The problem I see with recapped tires is that you have to take extreme care. If you do not then they could fail. A retread tire builds up heat as does a normal tire but they could easily separate the trade from the tire. If retreaded tires were so great everyone would be buying them, the tree huggers would be advocating for them and you would not see retread caps out on the shoulders of the interstate or worse yet in the travel lanes and hitting one. They might be cheaper but as the saying goes you get what you pay for. The only thing I would run a retread on is a farm tractor and that is because they do not go highway speeds and do not build up the heat a truck tire does.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I worked at a tire store one time that sold new tires as well as used as well as remolds (recapped) except that these were bead to bead remolds. Every single one of them that they sold came back a few weeks later as defective. The problem I see with recapped tires is that you have to take extreme care. If you do not then they could fail. A retread tire builds up heat as does a normal tire but they could easily separate the trade from the tire. If retreaded tires were so great everyone would be buying them, the tree huggers would be advocating for them and you would not see retread caps out on the shoulders of the interstate or worse yet in the travel lanes and hitting one. They might be cheaper but as the saying goes you get what you pay for. The only thing I would run a retread on is a farm tractor and that is because they do not go highway speeds and do not build up the heat a truck tire does.

This is exactly what I am talking about....its a modern retread company, not some fly by night backyard retreads. Treadwright is the brand I am refering to. Mine have held up fine to the weight of my F350 and have 6K miles on them right now. My daily commute is 55 miles round trip mostly highway. The caps you see on the side of the road are from semi's and thats comparing apples to oranges!!! (refer to their website where they talk about the process) Don't hate on retreads because you are used to old school tech. This company stands by their product and has an exceptional feedback.....If they were that bad the internet would be full of people blasting them and the company would be going out of business instead of expanding. Check the reviews by several off road magazines. Seriously, none of them have negative reviews....other than lack of sizes......

But to each his own. I will have retreads on my Jeep when the BFG's wear out. I will save my money for other things...

Thad

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have your choices and I have mine. Whatever you say to me will not convince me to run retreads on anything I own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online