New IDI Story In Diesel World

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't been around for a while, though I still have my bought-nearly-new '86. Still runs like a top, though rust has taken more of the body. I come in and lurk occasionally. Anyway, I did another article for Diesel World on the 6.9. The paper version was in the July 2021 issue but the online version is just now up and I though some of you might enjoy it. FOund some new pics of prototype engines and a little more development info. In any case, enjoy! https://www.dieselworldmag.com/diesel-tractors/shes-so-fine-my-6-9/

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome back.
We have missed your valuable input.
Gunna go poke around that article soon!

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good article. WOW! 21,000 hours on the dyno at 3300 RPM? I doubt that even Towcat did that!
Your reference to Towcat sounds a little past tense... hope it isn't.

By the way, those 21,000 hours were on many engines, not just one.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Your reference to Towcat sounds a little past tense... hope it isn't.
Sadly it is. He passed away from smoke inhalation from a wildfire a couple (I think) years back. I think maybe it was the Paradise Fire?

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So looks like this is something every 6.9 owner should do? Is it difficult? This article has convinced me my truck is awesome and I should spend more money :Thumbs Up

Attachments

• 9E611D35-7A7F-4A79-A7F7-0DBBA1181A40.png
    9E611D35-7A7F-4A79-A7F7-0DBBA1181A40.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 8

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's more time consuming to do right rather than difficult as long as you feel comfortable pulling your heads off. It's MUCH easier to do with the engine out of the truck and on a stand like shown in the picture.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So looks like this is something every 6.9 owner should do? Is it difficult? This article has convinced me my truck is awesome and I should spend more money :Thumbs Up
IMO, it's at or near the number one structural improvement you can make to a 6.9 or 7.3.

The job is not "easy-peasy" but it's straightforward. If your truck hasn't been apart for a while, or never has been apart, expect to find other issues to deal with, such as to the cylinder head. In most cases, you would undertake this at the time you pulled the heads for a valve job or were overhauling the engine. IMO, most often you can't do an adequate job installing a stud kit without pulling the heads, though some have done it. I'd only consider that road if I knew the head was fresh and the gasket was a modern one.

That pic is of my engine in the midst of an overhaul. Mine has been turbocharged since new and, to some degree, with the original head bolts and gaskets, a turbocharged 6.9L i a head-gasket-time-bomb. Mine blew a head gasket rather spectacularly so I decided to pull the engine and overhaul it. The lower end and cylinders were still in awesome shape but the heads needed a lot of work. I freshened everything up, added the studs and a modern gasket, updated to 7.3 rockers and she's been a good running farm truck these past nearly 10 years.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
IMO, most often you can't do an adequate job installing a stud kit without pulling the heads, though some have done it. I'd only consider that road if I knew the head was fresh and the gasket was a modern one.
I absolutely, 100% agree with this.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, it's at or near the number one structural improvement you can make to a 6.9 or 7.3
It's more time consuming to do right rather than difficult as long as you feel comfortable pulling your heads off. It's MUCH easier to do with the engine out of the truck and on a stand like shown in the picture.
Well, my Dad is set to retire next summer and I’ll be transitioning towards him. He says he’s going to sell his house and downgrade but build a nice garage so if I give him a hand I’m thinking within the next 2 or 3 years I might have the resources and ability to do it. Gives me time to continue reading about it and stockpile some parts. As you said Smoke, when you crack her open you end up finding other stuff that needs work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online