New Haul and Tow RV transporter build

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So,what did you do with the 5th wheel?I am in the market for one to replace this fixed jobber on my General.

Keeping it, Not for sale, thanks for asking. If I need to yank the bed off and go tractor trailer it will be very hard to find one that fits this truck.

Most likely you have a steel frame it wont fit the General. I have an aluminum frame and they are 3/8" wider outside to outside than a steel truck frame.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She sure looks purdy!! Can't wait to see her loaded up!!

A couple of questions, and sorry if they were addressed earlier and I missed them...

First, given that the rig's a bit shorter than the Ford, what's the biggest trailer you're going to be able to fit on the deck? IIRC the Ford was able to haul a 26' trailer on the deck; will the Freightshaker have a similar capacity?

Second, it looks like you're going with a single stop/turn light on each side of the back (compared to 3 on each side on the other truck)...was that just because you ran out of space in the back, or because you decided there isn't much of a point in lighting up the front of the towed trailer, or what led to that?

I wish I had the capability to do half of what you're doing...very impressive!!

Your wait is over. :D

The Ford could deck 32 actual feet of trailer w/ 4' overhang of the bed. Seems though, once the factory gets past calling it a 26' trailer the actual lengths of 27 and up series are around 33 - 36'.

Biggest I ever loaded was a what the factory calls a 26' trailer which was actually 30' The Freightliner can deck almost 30 actual feet of trailer with 4' of overhang which will limit me to 24 - 26 series. I have two 25's loaded right now and this factory calls them what they really are, 25'. Really got to pay atention and actually look it up on the mfg's website if you are not familiar with a certain trailer, have to watch height too. some of the bigger 26' trailers are over 11' tall which is my max.

Lights were simply ditched to put the ramps in pockets through the bumper, a change that makes it sooooooo much easier on me. No more room to do anything else. I have what is required by law.

Anywho,
Got the IFTA and IRP registration done and have it leased on, loaded and rolling with two 25' trailers.

Loading was much easier with this new bed and I didn't even break a sweat doing it. N/K

You must be registered for see images attach

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great!!!!! ;Sweet

IIRC your company needed to inspect your last truck (which delayed the time between getting it road-worthy and putting it to work); was that not necessary this time around, or as that part of what was done while we were here holding our breath?

Congratulations on getting her on the road ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tonka-
DOT might have issues with you on how far the cable is sucked onto to pulley.
otherwise, the rig looks sweet;Sweet

maniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EXCELLENT!

Looks real good, bet its a pleasure to operate compared to the Ford.

Although my KW is not as tall inside as the Freightliner it's plenty comfortable, I KNOW you will be much more comfortable, both driving and resting.

Seen a guy with a white T600 KW set up almost the same way on I-81 in Scranton Pa a few days ago

I'll be watchin' for ya out here

Good luck, now go make some $$$$$$.........:thumbsup:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tonka-
DOT might have issues with you on how far the cable is sucked onto to pulley.
otherwise, the rig looks sweet;Sweet

Thanks TC.

The cable is slack, just still hooked up for an easy unload and to keep it out of the driveshaft, we don't use it to hold the load againt rear chains like a wrecker. Hitch of trailer is pinned to the ball stand and straps on tires is all we need.

If some rookie diesel bear gives me any lip about it. I'll just unhook the thing from the trailer and hook it to the trucks frame in front of him.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great!!!!! ;Sweet

IIRC your company needed to inspect your last truck (which delayed the time between getting it road-worthy and putting it to work); was that not necessary this time around, or as that part of what was done while we were here holding our breath?

Congratulations on getting her on the road ;Sweet

Last time they were questioning my design and had me rework a few thing. Once they saw it in action whupping everybody with what I could do even the GM copied it, built one and sold it to another driver.as did another friend of mine who is running his. This time when I talked to them about building this truck i was told " you know what you are doing and what you need and we'll trust your judgement"

Mines the biggest baddest most powerful and comfy one in the fleet though. Looking like I'm spanking everyone in fuel economy too:D

The safety dept, the GM, dispatchers and recruiters all came and looked at this one. Safety guy took a quick look, snapped a few pics, said it looked great and went on his way. He was the most critical last time.;Sweet

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EXCELLENT!

Looks real good, bet its a pleasure to operate compared to the Ford.

Although my KW is not as tall inside as the Freightliner it's plenty comfortable, I KNOW you will be much more comfortable, both driving and resting.

Seen a guy with a white T600 KW set up almost the same way on I-81 in Scranton Pa a few days ago

I'll be watchin' for ya out here

Good luck, now go make some $$$$$$.........:thumbsup:

TY

Don't strain yer eye's looking for me in the North East, I save those for the guys that won't run Canada. About the only time I go east is home.

On a 1800 mile $2800 run dropping near Calgary now.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet....Guess I am back on the hunt...The General has a Aluminum frame too.Thick SOB!

Might try checking yards out west, that's where I spot most trucks with aluminum frames when truck shopping. Tons of short stubby single axle freightliners built to haul doubles and triples with aluminum frames out west

Is yours beyond rebuilding?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last time they were questioning my design and had me rework a few thing. Once they saw it in action whupping everybody with what I could do even the GM copied it, built one and sold it to another driver.as did another friend of mine who is running his. This time when I talked to them about building this truck i was told " you know what you are doing and what you need and we'll trust your judgement"

Mines the biggest baddest most powerful and comfy one in the fleet though. Looking like I'm spanking everyone in fuel economy too:D

The safety dept, the GM, dispatchers and recruiters all came and looked at this one. Safety guy took a quick look, snapped a few pics, said it looked great and went on his way. He was the most critical last time.;Sweet
Beautiful!! That's quite hard to argue with ;Sweet

What are your fuel economy numbers like so far?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beautiful!! That's quite hard to argue with ;Sweet

What are your fuel economy numbers like so far?

10.7 loaded when I filled up in Kenmare ND tonight. Been fighting a lot of wind and rain all day today. Pretty happy with that. Will know my new bobtail number (after all the mods) in about 3 or 4 days

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726