new guy with a 6.9

84 6.9

Reaction score
hey yall i just got a 6.9 from a buddy once it has a bad knock. i got the truck running and it sounds like theres something in the transmission. the tranny was low on fluid and i filled it with 80/90 (thats what is suposed to be in there right?) the knock is still very well there. are the any parts in the tranny that are prone to failer? and will a tranny out of an 86 f350 with a 400 work in my 6.9? they are both 4speed manuals. heres a video of the knock if any of yall can help me determain what it could be. i think its the flywheel.

http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad304/1967fordbronco/?action=view&current=MOV01956.mp4

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I'm pretty new here too and don't know everything so I unfortunately can't help you out with your question. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly who can though!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First of all welcome to the forum. You have several sounds that concern me. The idle is very low. It should be around 650 to 750 rpm. Any DIESEL 4 speed tran will fit with no modifications but changeing to an auto or a 5 speed will have some mount mods. The noise I heard may well be a dual mass flywheel breaking up on you. They are common on most factory 7.3 engines. I'm not sure if they fit the 4 speed tans. Any type of flywheel will fit both the 6.9 or 7.3 crank flange. In fact the same crank is in both engines. So are the rods, cam and most other internal parts. These engines share lots of parts. The external parts like the block and heads are all drilled the same too so any part that fits the 6.9 will fit the 7.3. Just the heads are differantly drilled specific for the 6.9. They have 7/16 head bolts. But the pattern is the same so you could install a set of 7.3 heads on a 6.9 easily. I think your noises are easily repaired too. The knock sometimes is just a bad injector with a weak spring so it fires way early causeing a ignition knock. Sounds a lot like a rod knock too. Glad you came along before you started buying parts trying to just fit this. There is plenty of free advise here for the asking. No dealership offers what we do.. Free help and free advise...

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Does the noise change when you push the clutch in? The engine appears to run rather smooth considering the ailment that is plain to hear.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Adjust your idle, if you look at the Injection Pump, you should easily see how this is done, if not, ask. If it still persists, remove the clutch cover and see if something is hanging up in there, use a bright flashlight and look thoroughly because missing it while you are there could cause tons of frustration. If you don't find anything, drive it down the road and kill it while in gear, if it persists that will eliminate the possibility of it being a fuel problem. If it stops go the injector route. If it persists, time for a stethoscope and a lot of idling and listening.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
That squeak sounds a lot like a dry throughout bearing. (X2 on "does the sound change when you push the clutch")

84 6.9

Reaction score
thanks for the replys yall i am very mechanical ive worked on lots of gas motors but this is my first diesel. can i use a 4speed out of a gas motor of the same era? The knock does not change when you push the clutch in but if you bring the rpms up it gets louder. the truck still drives and shifts good still. can one of you help me with what to put in the tranny for fluid? it is low but nobody can tell me what to use in it. Also i had it running and when the temp gauge gets to about a quarter to half way on the stock gauge the water temp light comes on but its full of antifreeze and the radiator isnt warm?

Last edited:

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Gas engine transmissions and diesel transmissions are different. That being said, there is a modification for the ZF5 to make a 460 transmission work on a diesel. Can't guarantee the same results with a 4 speed trans though...

For what it's worth, if you put the transmission in first gear and hold the clutch down, and you are at a stop, all internal parts of the transmission are standing still. If you've still got a knock, it's probably something else. Could have broken crank to flywheel bolts, but doubtful as thats usually an all or nothing kind of thing...

80/90 gear oil is what is specified for the T19 4 speed. the 5 speed ZF calls for DEX/MERC ATF.

I recently had a nasty knock and spent 6 months digging around inside the engine trying to find it. These things can be very tricky to diagnose. I ended up throwing in the towel and dropping a good 6.9 into my '94 truck. That fixed the knock... :D

I suppose the T19 flywheel could break, but I doubt it, those things are damn stout, almost as heavy as the ZF dual mass except they are solid metal... :eek:

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Sounds to me like something loose up in the front of the motor. But then again I cant hear diddly squat!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
You can try taking all of the belts off and running briefly to eliminate the accessories as the culprit. Take off the flywheel inspection plate off also. That metallic screeching sounds horrible.:eek: Stethoscope time?;Really

84 6.9

Reaction score
ok i got under there again today and i took the inspection plate off to see if anything looks weird while its running but everything looked normal. also while it was running i put my head in the fender well and it is much louder on the passenger side . could there be any possable way the starter could cause the knock? the only reason i think that is because when you start it you have to turn the key back of the starter wont disengage but the previous owner had no clue about mantenise so they could have driven it with the starter engaged.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Gas motor four speeds will work, but the spread between gears is different and can put the motor out of the power range. My 4 speed was behind a 302 originally.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Gas motor four speeds will work, but the spread between gears is different and can put the motor out of the power range. My 4 speed was behind a 302 originally.

I have a gasser 4 gear in one of my trucks, and the gear splits feel pretty good..... but if you run into a hill where you lug it down to where you need to shift into 3rd the rpm will be over 3400. So you have to slow down a little more before you downshift. Did that make any sense??