New Glow Plugs and GPR still Rough Start

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will it be a "plug and play" direct fit job. I just don't want to waste the $ on something that wont fit or I have to hack to make work.

It will work, but it sucks trying to work around the turbo. You may have to move a wire or two from the lume they are in, but it will work.

Heath

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will it be a "plug and play" direct fit job. I just don't want to waste the $ on something that wont fit or I have to hack to make work.

If you have a FACTORY turbo no it likely WON"T be a direct fit, check with Ford then on a replacement harness.

this would maybe require you sitting the two harness side by side and making adjustments to location of GP controller on new harness.

JM2CW

Al

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
most of the time the connections at the glow plug ends get messed up and need replaced. look up bullet connectors, i used these
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/19039-0006/WM18270-ND/279071

i have seen them in parts stores though. 7 seconds sounds short, a bad connection at any glow plug can cause a short cycle. if the controller is not getting a clean ground it can short cycle. glow plugs that are not warmed up are not going to help much in starting.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will work, but it sucks trying to work around the turbo. You may have to move a wire or two from the lume they are in, but it will work.

Heath
The only difference that I would b able to think of is maybe the wiring length difference to the controller because they are in different locations. Is the connector at the end of the harness that would plug into the existing harness the same? It would be great if I could just plug that harness in and then just focus on routing the wires that connect to the glow plugs. Im just wondering if I should take the chance and buy it.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem as you. New plugs as well(beru). I replaced two connectors with bullets, but who knows whats really going on in that old wiring. She likes being plugged in but i dont like relying on a cord (not to mention im paying for the electricity bill!)

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought that harness and put a factory 94 turbo on my 84. When I put it all together there was enough length in all the wires for me to mount my controller on the passenger side inner fenderwell, so my guess would be that there's probably enough to make it work.

subway

Reaction score
my truck was not originally a turbo. my original wiring harness was not long enough without modification to fit the controller on the valve cover. fortunatly i got the turbo wiring harness with the system so i swapped it out. i believe it will work but you will most likely be stretching/extending some wires if you do not move your controller.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most of the time the connections at the glow plug ends get messed up and need replaced. look up bullet connectors, i used these
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/19039-0006/WM18270-ND/279071

i have seen them in parts stores though. 7 seconds sounds short, a bad connection at any glow plug can cause a short cycle. if the controller is not getting a clean ground it can short cycle. glow plugs that are not warmed up are not going to help much in starting.

This sounds like my best bet. I want to unplug the harness and take out to make it easier to put all the connectors on. Does the harness run over to the driver side fender and plug into another harness? Also when I take the harness out should I number each wire to its glowplug or would it not matter for example if the #2 glowplug wire ended up on the #3 cylinder glowplug when put back on? Thanks.

subway

Reaction score
It's been a while but I believe it runs to the drivers side for power and then to the passenger side to link into the trucks harness. I did not pull the harness to change the connectors, I just did them in the truck one at a time. They are not numbered really so if you mix them up it does not matter, they all turn on and off together.

To help you out if you don't have them get yourself a long handled set of needle nose pliers. They are worth there weight in gold reaching those connections on and off.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a while but I believe it runs to the drivers side for power and then to the passenger side to link into the trucks harness. I did not pull the harness to change the connectors, I just did them in the truck one at a time. They are not numbered really so if you mix them up it does not matter, they all turn on and off together.

To help you out if you don't have them get yourself a long handled set of needle nose pliers. They are worth there weight in gold reaching those connections on and off.

If its possible to leave in the truck and get to all the connectors that would be awesome! Was your turbo installed at the time u did this? Im kind of worried it will be in the way to get to the back gp. From there its just cut the old connectors off, strip the wire and crimp on new connectors right?

subway

Reaction score
Yes the turbo was installed when I changed out the connections, its a little extra to work around the turbo but definatly do able. If you pull out the rear glow plug connections under the turbo you should be able to pull the wires forward giving you more working room to cut and crimp. this is where the long pliers shine! Even the glow plugs under the turbo are not that bad to get if you have a wobble and extension passing through under the turbo.

But yes it is a cut strip and crimp, would even be better if you can solder and heat shrink but I didn't go that far.

Speedwrench72

Reaction score
untill his wife or girl friend lets her boyfriend/brother use it and they smoke the Gps...cause they don't no how to do it right...leave it stock, learn how the system works, and what each part's job is, and fix it corectly..my .05

IDI Diesel7.3

Ukrainian Power
Reaction score
Having very similar issues, I have 2 frost plug block heaters installed and if I plug both in it fires right up, but sometimes it will die but then fire up and run fine on second start. If I only plug one block heater in it will like icanfixall said stumble to life kicking and bucking trying to start and needs pedal part way down to start and stay running. It wasnt even minus 10 celcius when this happened today. Glow plug controller was replaced last week along with 2 glow plugs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online