New engine running but knocking

sasquatch81

Reaction score
So I swapped over the injector and sure enough the sound and heat followed it. ran out to the junkyard and grabbed a full set of bb code injectors. I had been working on building a pop tester for sometime and just needed an injector line I could cut up so I grabbed that also. tested ll the injectors and found 1 that popped at 1700 with pretty good spray, threw that in the truck and she is running real smooth now.

So the last thing I need to do is get the FIPL/TPS adjusted. I think I am pretty clear on how to get it done but if anyone has some tips or tricks to shoot out there I'd be happy to hear them.

Thank You all for your help!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So now that you have a bad injector from RD what are you p[lanning to do about it. Without casting aspersions on that business you are probably seeing what several members here are finding out. This forum can recommend others that will make up a set of injectors but you will find out quality costs. Sadly you are going to end up paying twice for a set of injectors that are correct. Remember to read this forum for members that have good things to say about where they got what works. At least you found the issue and fixed it. This forum is not into "the I told you so"... I too once purchased a set of really horrible rebuilt injectors too. That was more than 15 years ago and I did not know then what I know now. Experiance costs time and money. I left off the drivers side line clamps and broke #2 injector hard line at the injector nut. I could not repair that so I gave it to Ford. Well they charged me a little less than $400.00 to replace that #2 hard line. Cost was an $80.00 line plus labor to remove all the lines to reach the bottom fitting. Too bad I did not have the special socket made just for those hard to reach bottom injector line nuts. You too will learn. In the future please remember. This forum does not look at any question as dumb or silly. You ask because you don't know. We were all there at one time too.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call Justin... When I had a problem with my injector pump {not a R&D Pump} and had to send it back to Michigan for a Check up... I sent my Injectors to Justin and he cleaned and Adjusted them to 1900lbs For just a small fee.. And they weren't even his product..
He's a Good Guy and I'm sure if you called him or sent him a Email he would respond.. I dropped off all my extra injectors on my way by one day just so he could have them for parts.. It could have been something in your lines when you put it back together... only way to find out is to contact R&D..

sasquatch81

Reaction score
Justin at R&D dropped a replacement in the mail as soon as I notfied him.

Icanfixall , thank you for the input. I truly appreciate all the wisdom and advice I have received from this site. I was aware of some of the issues members here have had with R&D.

As far as my own personal experience has been great, I forgot to take some parts off my pump core and they mailed them back priority mail ASAP. As far as the injector goes it is possible I goofed up and got something in the line, tried to keep clean but who knows.

I guess only time will tell of the quality. I hope it doesn't bite me down the road but in my experience you pretty much always run that risk no matter how much you pay.

Overall I'm thrilled with the way it's running now. It has never been so smooth and quiet.

Thanks again for all of your help and I'm sure I'll be back asking more!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well glad Justin stepped up and you have your engine running great now. Now it would be great to time this engine with a meter. A slight timing adjustment can really wake up these engines. They are very timing sensitive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online