Negative and positive effects of turning up injection pump?

Cheesy

Reaction score
Hey I’m curious for anybody who has experience with turning up the IP on a NA 7.3. What would be my power gains. Not really worried about real numbers but how does it feel afterwards. What’s the longevity gunna be on the motor. Will there be more strain over all? Will my mileage be worse? If I was to do it how much should I turn it up? I’m just wandering if it’s worth it really. Don’t have the money for a turbo at the moment so am looking for small ways to get better performance but want don’t want to damage anything. Is it worth it?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get an NA to run pretty good, turning up the fuel is one way but you can't turn it up much. Getting a properly rebuilt IP and pop-matched injectors are a requirement at some point.

Any time you turn up the fuel *and use it* you're going to get worse MPGs. But if you can stay out of it they will be the same. Then its power when you need it and normal MPGs the rest of the time. But really you can't turn up an NA very much so you may not see a big dip there even when you do use it.

You won't hurt the engine with more fuel unless you mash the go pedal often with tons of black smoke. At some point your EGTs will start melting pistons but it's harder to do than you might think.

An EGT gauge is required so you can stay in the safe zone, generally considered to be under 1200° pre-turbo.

Once you get that I'd start at 2 flats turned up, keep an eye on the smoke. You want a light grey haze or less at WOT, towing if possible.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to know if it's been messed with before? Mine came with a soup bowl delete and she'll put down a cloud if I really hop on it

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to know if it's been messed with before? Mine came with a soup bowl delete and she'll put down a cloud if I really hop on it
Sounds like it is already turned up. I have been told it's very easy to over fuel and damage a N/A engine, since it doesn't have the extra air from the turbo going through it.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i turned my 6.9 up 2 flats went from gutless to somewhat capable not sure about mpg difference

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have black smoke you have more fuel than air. If you roll into it to wot, is it still black?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There will be a paint mark on the access cover from a rebuilt turbo, if the paint is missing or cracked its been tampered with. If you have an original IP or really bad rebuild there won't be paint.
But it sounds like there isn't anything else to do fuel-wise, it's been done...You can always dial in the timing for better power and MPGs.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You can get an NA to run pretty good, turning up the fuel is one way but you can't turn it up much.

You won't hurt the engine with more fuel unless you mash the go pedal often with tons of black smoke. At some point your EGTs will start melting pistons but it's harder to do than you might think.

Sounds like it is already turned up. I have been told it's very easy to over fuel and damage a N/A engine, since it doesn't have the extra air from the turbo going through it.

But it sounds like there isn't anything else to do fuel-wise, it's been done...You can always dial in the timing for better power and MPGs.
I'll second, third, and fourth all of these. No matter what, you just can't get a lot of power out of a N/A IDI. You can gain some, but it won't amount to much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online