Need Some Advice

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Alright, it's taken me long enough, but I finally have the ferret pulse adapter.

you know...had to mow a few lawns first

Reading through the instructions, it says it generally signals 7 - 10 degrees before the luminosity reading would. Do I compensate for this when timing the van?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Set it at 8.5 deg btdc, at 2000 RPMs you can hook onto #1 or #4 if it's easier to get to on that van . Enjoy that Ferret, you'll be done before you know it ;Sweet

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
yeah...just found that out like just as you posted. Awesome.

One more...

What am I lining the mark on the crank with? There's two different sights it seems on the indicator that comes off the front plate. Or will that be apparent when I start trying?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
yeah...just found that out like just as you posted. Awesome.

One more...

What am I lining the mark on the crank with? There's two different sights it seems on the indicator that comes off the front plate. Or will that be apparent when I start trying?

Use the O timing mark look here If you take a paint pen or some white out and fill in the line on the balancer, it makes it show up a lot easier with your timing light.

-------Robert

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
I can't figure out how to adjust the timing. We loosened the nuts connecting the IP to the gear housing, but when we try to rotate the ip, the injection lines just make it spring back into the same position it was just in.

Do I take the lines off the injectors, rotate it, then force the lines back where they need to be?

Or is there something else that I need to loosen in order to be able to rotate the ip?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Ford shows a bug long handled wrench to lever the thing over. I've found a plier type plier type oil filter wrench works pretty good if you're careful what you grab onto., granted that only works to turn so far, you don't want to start cracking injection lines. If you run into too much resistance, get a 12 point 5/8 crows foot flare nut wrench ( you're friendly neighborhood snap on guy will hit you about $23 for one ) and with that and a short 3/8 wobble extension you'll be able to loosen the injection lines on the back of the pump and it will turn much easier. Make a line before you turn it and then you will usualy need to be holding the pump under tension while you tighten a nut down to keep it in position . Now is a good time to sprout that latent octopus gene you may have laying dormant :rotflmao

All of this really gets fun when what you are standing on kicks out from under you.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Did it!

A very complex system of pulleys, magnets and mirrors, a vice grip connected to a string, several arms, and some swearing did the trick!

8.5 degrees BTDC, on the money (about 1/4"+ to the left of the mark on the gear housing)

I can't believe how anyone could do this by ear...it sounds exactly the same!

RLDSL...thanks a lot for your advice. You really helped me out.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Did it!

A very complex system of pulleys, magnets and mirrors, a vice grip connected to a string, several arms, and some swearing did the trick!

8.5 degrees BTDC, on the money (about 1/4"+ to the left of the mark on the gear housing)

I can't believe how anyone could do this by ear...it sounds exactly the same!

RLDSL...thanks a lot for your advice. You really helped me out.

yeah, there's not much difference in the sound . You might get close by ear, but getting right on would be by luck only. Always cracks me up when shops want to charge folks $100 to time up an engine and they don't own the tools, but they " can time it by ear"
Glad to help. Now time to get out and enjoy the thing ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people seem to have a good ear, but the best still seem to be off .5-1 degree, usually retarded. Mine was off .5* too far advanced.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
just drove the van this morning. it was already worth the $300 for the tools. I thought I had one or two dead glow plugs that was causing it to struggle so much on startup...

...this morning it was COLD...didn't struggle at all. Barely any smoke (compared to the giant cloud I was used to.)

And driving was a heck of a lot different. Felt like it had more power.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It's amazing what a few degrees ( or a whole bunch) difference can make ;Sweet
I've bought old diesels from the boneyard that were left for dead that the only thing wrong with them was they were off time.....and the last thing done to them by the reciepts in the glove box was timing belt and pump jobs at diesel specialty shops cookoo ( engines where the T belt effects the pump timing )

tractorman86

Reaction score
:eek: wow i need to time mine and probably all the ones at the shop too we have like 5 service trucks with these motors and everyone complains but does nothing about it!!

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
I'll admit, figuring out how to adjust the timing was a little difficult at first (pretty much only because I own a van instead of a truck,) but once we did it the first time, the next couple adjustments were cake. Now in a couple months/years, I can just bust out my ferret adapter and light and check the timing in just a few minutes. It's so easy.

My friends with diesels all want to come over to my house now to time theirs.

I highly recommend the ferret setup.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friends with diesels all want to come over to my house now to time theirs.

That's because so few shops have the tools and skills anymore to do these older non-computerized rigs. And if you find one, they charge a good penny for it. Getting it done for free at a rally, by me or whoever does it, is an incredible opportunity in this day and age.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Another cold morning, about 23 degrees. This time I tried starting it up without any throttle at all, just to see what would happen. The van didn't even flinch. Started right up.

Way to go ferret.