need help in Longmont, Co.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Hey all,
One of my aquaintences/customers is en route back home and having issues with his truck. He is moving back east (of here, not 100 percent sure where his final destination is). His truck has been running progressivly worse and a mechanic he stopped at yesterday spent 3 hours on it and finally determined the pump mounting nuts are loose. He tightened the nuts but had no idea of timing marks. Based on what Michael (my customer) is telling me it sounds like the timing is still retarded ( he said mark is 1/8th inch toward passenger side). If anyone is local to Longmont Co zip 80501, I can pass his info along and try to get him some help. He could really use the modified "pump wrenches" I know most of us have and someone that knows a little about these trucks would be really helpful.

thanks in advance,

Punk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly this happens when a less than stellar mechanic trys to loosen or tighten these hard to reach nuts. I'm not saying you did this punk either. I know you have more inteligence about how to work on most any engine. Thats a safe bet. But I had a shop time my engine about 12 years ago and some time later I saw one nut and washer mia and the other side one was loose and ready to fall off. I went fishing under the intake manifold with a magnet of a flex line and found it. Went back to said shop and gave them holly hel about it. Made them retime my engine too. Actually the top nut is really al we need to keep the pump from turning but figure if the other two nuts are loose or missing thats a loss of 66% of the holding power. Not a feel good thing. About the easiest way to reach the passenger side nut is to remove the fast idle solenoid and bracket. The takes a 7/16 combo wrench. Then you have a better shot at it. Find a harbor freight store and buy a 9/16 combo shorty wrench or any cheap shorty wrench in that size. Remember its not that important that all the nuts be tight. Just the top one. If the guy and anything that can make a mark on the pump and the housing do that. Then you can actually see how much and which direction the pump has moved when you try to advance it. Remember the hard linea sometimes cause the pump to bonch back after the move is make. Thats why I like the top nut snug and I bump the pump watching for movement on the mark. If the pump is too hard to move loosen the easy to reach top hard lines at the pump so the spring tension of the lines is eased off. It really helps to move the pump. Tighten the nuts as best you can and drive on. Pushing the top of the pump towards the passenger side of the truck is advancing the timing. Only a 1/16 to 1/8 inch move is going to probably be enough. I have made all this information so your friend has something to read if he can get on this site. I know you know all of these tricks of the trade. Wish I could be of more help...