Need help. How bad is can this be

DiecellDan

Reaction score
94 7.3 with factory turbo, 4x4

We just got hit with a hurricane. Long story short, I drove into a flooded area. Truck sputtered then stopped. I cranked the truck, and was able to drive up hill. White smoke was coming out the tail pipe. "Water in fuel" light came on. Truck sounds like crap. I parked it a block from the flooded area. How bad is this. What should I do next? Is the engine done?

corrado9184

Reaction score
Could have damaged injection pump or the engine, lots of potential for damage, check the engine oil for water and replace. Drain the fuel, flush the lines, replace the filters, bleed the injection lines. If you can, check compression, look at the glowplugs, start it and hope for the best.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best answer right there. I don't think you got water in the cylinders, or it wouldn't have started and run again.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best answer right there. I don't think you got water in the cylinders, or it wouldn't have started and run again.
OH yes it will start and run (BAD). Probably have a rod or 2 bent. Check your compression. That starter is a HOSS. If you ever suck water in from crossing too deep water, first pull all glowplugs BEFORE you a restart.