need a fan clutch

space ghost

Reaction score
Was wondering if the is one that is proffered over the others and should do the water pump while I have it apart? Thanks in advance for the help.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Up to you. If WP not leaking, I would not. Fan clutch is not a difficult repair

Duke84

Reaction score
I just said the hell with the manual fan and going to dual 16 inch electric fans. Building custom fan shroud and mounting assembly. To bolt them down.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock Auto has a motorcraft listed for around $60. There is also a discount code in the vendors forum they send out.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might as well do the water pump if it's high miles. Pretty sure when mine started to leak a bit past 300k that it was the original pump. Heck the original vac pump went 315k. Motorcraft anyone?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I open the box and if it says made in the USA I buy it. Never had an issue with that method. I bought a murray most recently that way, but it looked just like a hayden I had bought a couple years before.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just said the hell with the manual fan and going to dual 16 inch electric fans. Building custom fan shroud and mounting assembly. To bolt them down.

I tried that, didn't work very well. I used the fans you can get at the local parts store. They did not pull enough air, and my stock alternator barely kept up when they were on, the A/C was on, the fan was on high and the headlights were on.

If you want to do it right so it works, you need to pony up for the very expensive fans, and you will have to upgrade the alternator to handle the extra load. Don't forget to tie them into your A/C system also if you still have one.

Duke84

Reaction score
I tried that, didn't work very well. I used the fans you can get at the local parts store. They did not pull enough air, and my stock alternator barely kept up when they were on, the A/C was on, the fan was on high and the headlights were on.

If you want to do it right so it works, you need to pony up for the very expensive fans, and you will have to upgrade the alternator to handle the extra load. Don't forget to tie them into your A/C system also if you still have one.

I always use high output alternators and the system I got were meant to work with the factory electronics. I don't buy the cheap crap from part stores simply because most of those fans have a high draw electric motor. Those are ok for a single fan application but not dual. Also I never mount the fans directly to the radiator either. I always custom build a shroud and frame to mount the fans. I'll get a couple pictures to upload tomorrow.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just going to say I bought a hayden clutch and its a pile of ****. Doesn't lock up even when i hit 230* every other component in my cooling system is new including a motorcraft thermostat and 4 core brass radiator. I bought a motorcraft clutch off ebay I will be pulling my camper this coming weekend I can report back on how the motorcraft clutch did

Bouncer

Reaction score
Anybody know of a fan clutch adaptor to eliminate the fam clutch? All my truck basically does is idle around , never gets hot, but my clutch bearing is going out?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What fan clutch bearing? Do you mean the water pump? That's the closest bearing I can think of. Elimination of the water pump would be disrecommended, but YMMV.

Also note that the fan is actually more critical when idleing than during most driving conditions, especially if running AC or any other load (PTO load, winch, etc). Engine may not be making much heat, but there's also no airflow to disipate that heat except for the fan. That being said, idling and low load operation is one place where an electric fan would probably work well on an idi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online