Na air intake pics

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to upgrade to a custom air intake. My trucks na wasn't sure anyone had any pics of what you have? I see on the net some guys delete the stock filter housing and have a whole different set up was not sure what they are usually to replace the stock housing

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whats NA?
oah yea, thats right...
NOT APPLICABLE :D

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
carb intake hat. Then you can pipe it up front for ram air so you get better performance especially on the highway

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
The stock intake is actually quite fine. If a vacuum gauge is installed in the intake, very little pull is shown even at high revs there for it really not very restrictive at all. And it does pull cold fresh air from outside the engine bay on all vintage idi's. Im always used to think about ways to build a "ram air" setup for them but without a turbo, there is really no way to stuff more air into it then what it already gets. A stock intake with a quality well cared for filter is just fine for stockish engines. Just my $.02 worth.

I have had many idis of all makes, messed with the intake ducting on ALL OF THEM except my current fleet and I never once noticed a difference in performance in any way, just more noise in some cases, and always a rattier looking engine bay

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. So it sounds that the investment wouldn't be worth it? I was not sure if it would help cool my engine if I did a custom intake but sounds like not much?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i feel that your vehicle is an extension of your personality.
on a N/A engine a mod to the air intake wont gain you any real performance,
but something custom can give you a sense of pride and add a little personality to your rig.
the only vehicle i have that has a stock style air intake is my E350.
i wont be modding this until i do the 4wd conversion.

i wouldnt view this thread as "whats better for my truck"
i would view it as, "what do i wanna do"
because performance wise, it really dont matter.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Good point idioit.
And another thing that is good about the factory intake ducting in most vehicles is they are designed to keep out a lot of water, dirt etc.... Sometimes (emphasis on the sometimes) a less then stellar home built intake is not as effective at keeping the bad stuff out. Just a thought...

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buddy is selling this for 50 bucks is it worth it or will it help get more air in?

You must be registered for see images attach