my intercooler install 92+

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys figured i better document this since i havent seen any really lol

well this should be good for 92+ rigs and i think i have a 99+ pstroke intercooler not sure tho unfortunately

here we go

i started off by simply pushing where the condenser meets the mount and pushed it back as far as i felt comfortable still definitely not touching

then cut off the tie bar that connects the hood latch to bottom of core support

You must be registered for see images attach

then go ahead and set your intercooler up and line it up where you want it to sit and mark it and cut for room for the inlet and outlet unfortunately on the driver side i really had to mangle it and lower it and reform it

then cut off the tabs flush

then start with cardboard and just shape them to fit around the curve on the bottom of the radiator support
then cut your shape out of some scrap steel and weld in and then i would suggest atleast one vertical support like ive got

i added a thick body washer on top of the mount before building my mounts for the top that way i have room to put some rubber there for it to sit on

i used some factory clips so i just had bolts from the bottom with loctite

top mounts i simply got some steel same as what i used for the bottom mounts and bent them to fit decent drilled holes then used super short self tappers

before you mount the hood latch you have to cut the top strap of the intercooler and slightly push the fins down i know some of you will cringe but this will have 0 effect on your performance or longevity of your cooler

plenty of room everywhere so no grill or header panel modifications are required

you have to bend the mount for the hood latch line and the release bar

and thats pretty much it for the actual install of the cooler than you have to get the pipes built to fit

Last edited:

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have any full-size pics showing the entire intercooler? From some of the "installed" pics, it looks like it might be an '03+ 6.0l I/C, but I can't tell for sure (compounded by the fact that I'm not certain what the 7.3l I/C looks like). I have a 6.0l IC sitting in my kitchen, and it looks very similar to what you have.

Just FYI...thank you for the pics ;Sweet

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crunching the fins on the intercooler hurt my soul a little bit. Looks good though, thanks for sharing!

ya I know it was hard to do but my only other choice was to let the inlet on driver side sit right on the frame...so I did a lil cutting

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wish my intercooler had nice tabs on top like those...i wouldnt have had to do the cheesy straps lol but i think they will hold fine all the pressure is on the bottom pedestals

looks like you didnt have to mangle your hood latch either it looks like a nice kit

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just to let everyone know i found out that this is a 6.0 intercooler...the 7.3 is about 3" shorter heighth wise so you will NOT have to cut the top flange and squish the fins...and you will not have to mangle driver rad support to fit inlet if you go with the 7.3....i thought i had the 7.3 but i got set straight...so i would say if i had a 7.3 intercooler this install would have been a breeze so make sure you have the 7.3 intercooler and you will have almost no struggle getting it in

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but where do y'all get the pipes you need for the intercooler if you're doing it custom like this and not from a Hypermax kit? Besides paying some exhaust shop a crap ton of money to bend your pipes, or is that pretty much all there is to do?? BTW, that intercooler looks awesome! There is a 6.0 IC for sale here locally for not very much that I may pick up for my own IC install, but I just haven't figured out where I can get my pipes...

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I had the pipesfrom a early 99 stroke and you have to relocate the fuel filter but the pipes come pretty close to fitting you will need a couple small lengths up top and your silicon

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
look at the link oldbull put in post 7

you can get standard bends from what i understand and weld them together yourself or just use couplers. this is where you get into the custom area for fitting if you have to pay someone to weld up hard pipes.