My Dream Truck...

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... an IDI with 250hp, 600 tq. or so...

Is it possible?

Add to that... perfect interior and exterior, free from rattles/squeaks aside from occasional dash pop (can't do away with that--it is characteristic of our trucks!!), tows like a dream without overheating, tows like a dream without always killing us because of EGTs.

Is it possible?

That's what I want from my truck... :) Too much work invested in her at this point to stop and go new/electronic. If I ever go new, will probably still have this d@mn truck.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
ummm,Yea.The Enterprise is nearly there as it sits.200Horses with like 350Ft/Lbs with nothing but a Turned up pump and Banks turbo.With pane,better injectors and a better pump,maybe a better intake system,Intercooler,bigger exhaust,you can get there and farther.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing is... what/how to beef up the engine and cooling to take the additional strain... for reasonable price.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do what I went and done.

Drop in a Cummins.

I did an entire Cummins swap, including price of engine, for way less than several garages quoted me for a rebuild of my original engine, or a trade-out for a rebuilt crate engine.

All this was providing that I had a rebuildable core; had my core turned out no good, then another five to seven hundred dollars adds to the difference.

My Cummins has more zip as stock than can ever be imagined out of the Internationals with all the modifications.

It is un-believable how much this helped this truck.

I should have done this years ago.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been considering that... but have no time/mechanical experience to do it myself. No places back east specialize in this kind of work... I know of 2 places in MT that do it. That's a long way away. The other problem is... getting a Cummins that I can trust. If I got one that needed a rebuild after I installed it, then add $5000 to the price tag.

Other problem is my BTS transmission. Not sure it is up to the job. It *should* be, but probably isn't able to handle the extreme low end of the Cummins.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The woods are full of Cummins swappers around here.

As to the transmission, ditch it in favor of the one that comes in the donor truck.

If a Cummins will start and run, it will last for years.

A used 5.9 with 200,000 miles plus will outlast a new 7.3 by far.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MIDNIGHT RIDER said:
The woods are full of Cummins swappers around here.

As to the transmission, ditch it in favor of the one that comes in the donor truck.

If a Cummins will start and run, it will last for years.

A used 5.9 with 200,000 miles plus will outlast a new 7.3 by far.

I think the biggest thing is deciding if the body on my '91 is worth it. I love the truck, and have plans to add trailer to mirrors and repaint... but the inside of the truck is a mess. Dash needs epoxy in places, and I want to give all the wiring a real hard going through. Don't know how to get behind the dash to do it...

I'd like to go with a 2005 or 2006 engine if I ever ditch the IH in the truck now... but that gets into the very thing I'm trying to avoid with a NEW truck--too much electronic junq. Chances are much better that I'd keep the truck in "vintage" trim and just buy a Dodge and do the same to it that I've done to this truck.

Mike

Last edited:

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmm, that is what I want too :D I'd like to go for the 6.9/hypermax/intercooler, I hope to get in that power range. Arround $4000 for all that with exhaust :eek:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
:rotflmao since when does a first gen. 5.9 have more power then a turbo'd 6.9 or 7.3 :rolleyes: plus I don't see how you can say a 5.9 with 200,000 miles will out last a new 7.3 they all brake down I put a waterline in for a guy that had a 7.3 with 450,000 miles on it and he was no mechanic he just put oil in it and drove it ;Sweet as for the tranny ain't no way I'd ever put a dodge tranny in anything except a boat for an anchor :Sly as far as I've heard BTS trannys are among the best you can get ;Sweet Now I'm not anti cummins I've considerd doing the swap if I ever need to but lets keep it real here :rolleyes:

94Turbo

Reaction score
Mike why do You need a cummins so bad ??? your E4Od **** the bed last I remember , so now you have a BTS with the same motor and a turbo ?? Take it easy when you have a load and you will be ok! You might need a few more gears but the motor is fine learn how to drive a truck its not like jumping in the honda and going to wallmart

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94Turbo said:
Take it easy when you have a load and you will be ok! You might need a few more gears but the motor is fine learn how to drive a truck its not like jumping in the honda and going to wallmart

Well said.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94Turbo said:
Mike why do You need a cummins so bad ??? your E4Od **** the bed last I remember , so now you have a BTS with the same motor and a turbo ?? Take it easy when you have a load and you will be ok! You might need a few more gears but the motor is fine learn how to drive a truck its not like jumping in the honda and going to wallmart

Heheheheeheh. I have to laugh, 94Turbo. We're both from the same place... Seabrook is nice and flat... so you can get by with a little less pony power under the hood!!

All joking aside, I get your point. More power would be nice, and I've invested too much into this IDI to throw a Cummins into it. It is too nice a truck to start a new "project" of that magnitude. That said, maybe tis time to get a project truck to slip a Cummins into...

Forget that. I'll trick out a '87-'91 with the latest Duramax and Allison, bomb the hell out of it, and go racin'. :)

Back to the IDI, though... EGTs are a concern, and I suppose an intercooler would help but then I'll be dealing with water temp issues. Also need more tranny cooling.

And I suppose I should tickle 2700 RPM or so instead of pulling at whatever OD gives me at 70-75mph or so. I just hate running her that hard!! I feel sorry for any diesel that has to rev all day... maybe that's just me and that's not normal for the IDI. Sounds like she makes her power for pulling up high.

... been a long day... can't stop rambling... need sleep.

Mike

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
Back to the IDI, though... EGTs are a concern, and I suppose an intercooler would help but then I'll be dealing with water temp issues. Also need more tranny cooling.

Maybe not, some here have posted pics of their IC setup and they did clear the rad area. It does feel slow when I'm pulling my trailer and a cummins pass Me up hill as if I wheere parked, but also those are newer engines. Most times on highway we just need to go down one gear and after that wait time is over.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been pretty much able to keep speed except on hills... 10 psi on the boost gauge ain't 30...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online