My 85 Chevy K20 7.3l IDI project (bowtie bound)

Tex_50613

Reaction score
well his appears to be where my binder swap project goes so I'll make my first post here,
for more than 15 years I've wanted a square body Chevy crew cab 4x4 dully and finally got one, now it was really rough and had a un-desirable drivetrain in that big of truck as far as I was concerned, I haven't gotten the drivetrain swapped in yet but am only short the clutch components to get the motor and trans swapped in, the drivetrain in the truck when I bought it was a 350ci SBC with a blown headgasket, 400 turbo backed by a NP205, the truck is getting a 7.3l IDI out of a 93 F250 that I picked up cheep, a ZF 5 speed backed by a divorced PS drop NP-205 thanks to the guys at Low Budget Diesel out of Mitchellville IA,

first a couple videos of the motor running
You must be registered for see images attach

here are some pics of the mess so far for yall
the day I brought it home

after a few new old parts and some of starting the body work since I have some Bondo paint primer and steel

fixed the ugly tailgate

Tex_50613

Reaction score

now the box,

and here's the front clip that will be on the truck

Tex_50613

Reaction score
the truck is going to get a 2" or 3" body lift and a 4" 3/4ton suspension lift with airbag helpers in the rear so that I don't loose capacity along with a set of Redneck Customs bumpers probably similar to these that I have on my mud/trail toy

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Welcome to Oilburners.;Sweet It is very attention getting to see a 7.3 going bowtie bound.:sly Best of luck with this rig, you will have a 2wd counterpart to keep you company here. Genlightening also has a nice bowtie rig.

Tex_50613

Reaction score
Welcome to Oilburners.;Sweet It is very attention getting to see a 7.3 going bowtie bound.:sly Best of luck with this rig, you will have a 2wd counterpart to keep you company here. Genlightening also has a nice bowtie rig.

thanks and the reason I found the forum was a link to Genlightening's build thread was linked in a post to my build on this truck over at the Chevy forum I belong to, after reading through his build I joined and decided to post my project for scrutiny, we also have a 7.3l turbo'ed 95 F350 2wd non dully with a utility box as a service truck at work love the fact that the motor always starts and will pull a mountain

Tex_50613

Reaction score
Thank you for the idea on the tailgate! I think I might do that to mine!!!!!!!!

no problem, I'll take pics of the back side for you tomorrow in the daylight since the gate is hanging out on my toy till I get the box done, I used a handle and trim bezel from a 06 Chevy tailgate that I had laying around to do the relocation which worked great and didn't cost a fortune

Tex_50613

Reaction score
Nice job so far! ;Sweet
Us Chevy guys gotta keep making them Ferd guys drool over our perfect trucks! :rotflmao

thanks for that and you bet, I love my old square bodies, own a few of them :Thumbs Up by the way I love the IH bowtie, I'm looking at having a set of Scottsdale 30 fender emblems done with the "sun" replaced with the international "endless highway" for mine and a 7.3L to replace the 454 in the grill, figure make it look stock and throw everyone off :rotflmao

Tex_50613

Reaction score
Nice idea! Billetbadges.com did mine. You might hit them up and see if they can do yours (if you don't already have someone in mind). Check this thread (if you haven't already)
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42903

that's who I called for a price quote but I have a friend with a mini CNC mill that wants to try to make them before I have Billet Badges make a set, if he can't do them properly then I'll go from there, also debating on weather to have a custom stock looking dash emblem made with the endless highway to keep the whole theme tied in, also short of locating and installing the body line trim I'm gonna backdate the body to a 74 by using the front clip and also adding the upper cab trim and trailering special bages from my doner truck

also for anyone who don't know the fender emblems I'm talking about here's a pic of a stock set from 1974

Last edited:

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
awesome! repowering a chebby with a REAL engine! ;Sweet now you have a great drivetrain and a body and axles that are cheap and easy to find parts. i sure do like having the parts for my D60 ('85 chevy front axle)on the shelf at the zone. :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site;Sweet
i don't mean to ruin your day, but you will have your work cut out for you on swapping over the hoods. 81-87(C&K)/91(R&V) have majorly different hood & cowl compared to 73-80. the early truck has the hood that goes all the way to the windshield whereas the 81 and up uses a removable cowl piece. where it gets really interesting to fab up is the hood hinges. I've seen it done but not without a ton of fab work. nice pics tho;Sweet

Attachments

• SL377845.JPG
    SL377845.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 29

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
welcome to the site;Sweet
i don't mean to ruin your day, but you will have your work cut out for you on swapping over the hoods. 81-87(C&K)/91(R&V) have majorly different hood & cowl compared to 73-80. the early truck has the hood that goes all the way to the windshield whereas the 81 and up uses a removable cowl piece. where it gets really interesting to fab up is the hood hinges. I've seen it done but not without a ton of fab work. nice pics tho;Sweet

I thought he could get away with it if he does a full front clip swap? It didn't sound like he was doing just the hood... :dunno