Mpg is way down

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always ck my mpg when i fuel up. Im down to 11 mpg now. Truck runs fine and idles as smooth as ever. Injectors?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mines been on the decline in chip truck for a while now.last time i checked timing it was fluctuating instead of steady and the other day she started stumbling and the timing advance came on,on it's own when warm.the ip is getting worn out.was one of the budget deals from the past uhaul truck sell out.time for a good one and i bet the economy shoots back up.
if yours is running smooth with no white smoke it may be more of an ip issue than injectors too........but you really can't beat doing both for a full tune up.
im seeing too many 12 and 13 mpg's and i know she should be 14-15 mpg.
well look at my graph;
http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-log.php?vehicleid=5088

down,down,down hill.iv put it off far too long.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You keep great records! I just keep mine in my head.your 13-14 mpg is the best i ever got running empty. I got 11.27 mpg on my last tank. I figured it would get hard to start if it needed a pump.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh. Im seeing more black smoke even with a new air filter.this last tank included hauling quads up a mountain which worked it pretty hard but for only 20 minutes or so.the rest was flat ground @58 mph. Pump was rebuilt before i got it by an official stanedyne pump place in alaska. Injectors still have grey paint so i assume they are originals and may be frothing at the tips. Any way to tell?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I know mine needs to be done soon too. Got my worst MPG towing this month on a 500 mile trip. 9.54 there and 9.03 back. Has been in the 10-11 range towing previously. All time best of 15.22 for about 250 miles while up there not towing, so there's a thinker. When I get my ZF5 in that should help, but I doubt it'll have the torque to pull anything in 5th. Pump and injectors will hopefully help.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this smells like a "mega moose goods" group buy brewing to perhaps get us a discount? we should ask Mel if he's up for it.:)

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im on a budget and i cant do both.i ran some injector cleaner through it a few weeks ago and thats when mph went in the toilet. Im considering turning the fuel down a little as i turned it up a tiny bit last year.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i hear ya.im tackling major repairs this year.chip trucks frame cracked and i had to have that fixed (properly! $$) then one of my chain saws blew an engine,then my wood chipper crapped out! lmao! then to top it off im in the process of developing new land (septic system right now,gravel next,then electric,then a well.) and iv still yet to take log truck in to have her dump bed (properly! $$) welded up so i can dump with it.it's never good timing is it guys.

edit;oh yeah no.it was one saw fixable,346xp but another i had to replace this year.of course the one i had to replace was the 372xp.$$

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Im on a budget and i cant do both.i ran some injector cleaner through it a few weeks ago and thats when mph went in the toilet. Im considering turning the fuel down a little as i turned it up a tiny bit last year.

Can't say definitely its pump or injectors but leaning to the injectors because of the pump changeout and the grey paint post. Call Mel or Russ and ask about rebuilt injectors or buy Mel's new manufactured injectors.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
If there's a group buy/discount with Mel I'll pull the trigger sooner rather than later. It's never a good time, but you need what you need.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A one time drop isn't necessarily something to worry about because, often as not, it's some error or a temporary change in situation that caused it. There are many things that can cause a drop in MPG, up to an including fuel that is more foamy than normal and you don't get as full a tank. This is definitely the foamy fuel season. Yesterday, I was able to eat an entire ice cream cone while topping/tricking off to my normal level (14.5 mpg, btw). Five minutes at least. I check my mileage every tank and have since 1987. I've seen drops like that and usually, it's either a bad load of fuel or me being lazy at the pump and not taking the extra time to top the tank to the same level each time. When it foams over the first time, I can usually get 2+ more gallons in. If it's bad fuel, it will bounce back. Ditto for fueler errorIf you see the low number consecutively from now on, you then can officially start tearing hair out.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your timing, a little off (retarded Black smoke) makes a hell'va difference in MPG. Even 1 hex on fuel turn up might be to much. Non turbo have to be carefull.

Black dawg

Reaction score
The fuel pumps (at the station) are not always accurate. I had been noticing crappy mpg for awhile, and accidentally ran my front tank very close to empty. When I filled up at this same pump that I always used, I got almost 26 gallons in my front tank. I explained to the owner of the station that it wasnt possible to get that much fuel in that tank, He told me that they are calibrated every so often (blah blah blah), and wasnt possible for them to be inaccurate. They very next time I fueled up, my mpg improved.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the rear brakes and see if they are hot. The parking brake cables love to stick on these trucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin