Moosestang Update

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel, you do realize that dichotomy and unparalleled are way to big to be used in the same story!!!!

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Certainly one of my favorites. ;Sweet

The ol' man.... truely my hero. I bought a leg lamp just so I could call it a major award. :D

My dad has a Leg lamp! i cant for the life of me rememebr where he got it, but in true Christmas story fashion it now resides in the window in the very front of the house ;Sweet

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certainly one of my favorites. ;Sweet

The ol' man.... truely my hero. I bought a leg lamp just so I could call it a major award. :D

I haven't got a leg lamp yet, but I do have lots of experience as a Furnace Fighter!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard about this type of swap before.

If I understand right, you are using the stock traction beams that would normally come in a bronco or F150 (slightly longer and narrower than F250 beams), then swapped chevy knuckles and spindles on them to convert to an 8 bolt hub. That allows most of the suspension to stay bone stock and you can keep the longer traction beams and coil springs for better ride performance.

I agree that 3.08s are very liberating indeed. I'll never forget that first drive. What is your cruise speed? 55 or 70?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leg lamps can be had from http://achristmasstoryhouse.com along with the pink bunny suit for family members you really hate giving gifts to. :sly

I now have numbers to report. Went into work at an insanely early hour yesterday, and had the afternoon to get my tires squared away. My speedometer now reads 10 MPH slow at 55. According to the GPS, at 55, my gauge is reading 45, which is right at the 2000 RPM mark for me. Looks like I WILL be wanting that overdrive gear, which will bring me down another 500. However, this is still a great improvement. The engine thinks my commute to work just shortened by 15 miles. That's going to save me at least 2 gallons of fuel per day! That's an extra 10 gallons a week, which now means that I will not have to fill up EVERY week, and will be able to stretch it into another week. At current fuel prices, this should save me $120 a month, and so my aproximately $1000 investment in time and effort will repay itself within the year. ;Sweet Very nice. Of course, I'm still running some junk fuels in warmer weather so the savings are not that tremendous, however their will be wear and tear savings as well. By the time I get the manual installed, I will be able to shave another 500 RPM off the cruising speed, and that will net additional gains. Power wise, I love the combination. The Bronco has always been over powered by the 6.9, and now 1st and second are more usable. It stays in first longer, and the shifts happen at speeds that make more sense. The ride is quieter, and the overall quality of life is improved. Can't speak about towing yet, but I have no concerns. It pulls my 2 ton boat up a 10% grade all summer long in low range anyway (have to keep the speed down as the road is bumpy) and I doubt that there will be much of a change since it always made it into 3rd gear doing that easily. I'll have pictures soon.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Good stuff. Didn't you say a zf was in store? Just getting rid of torque converter slip would gain a reduction of 2-300rpms, right? So if you are adding an od gear to that I think you may do better than the 500rpm drop you anticipate. I often wondered why the aftermarket never came out with a locking torque converter kit for the C6. I know little about the possibility of that being feasable,:dunno but sounds good on paper to me. I hope real world numbers back up your projections, can't wait to hear what a tank gets ya for real world mileage numbers. Good luck, neighbor.:thumbsup:

sassyrel

Reaction score
Good stuff. Didn't you say a zf was in store? Just getting rid of torque converter slip would gain a reduction of 2-300rpms, right? So if you are adding an od gear to that I think you may do better than the 500rpm drop you anticipate. I often wondered why the aftermarket never came out with a locking torque converter kit for the C6. I know little about the possibility of that being feasable,:dunno but sounds good on paper to me. I hope real world numbers back up your projections, can't wait to hear what a tank gets ya for real world mileage numbers. Good luck, neighbor.:thumbsup:

near impossible to make a lock up c6--and would be exceedingly expensive, for not a very large market--

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 4.10 to 3.08 swap paid off in about 3 months if I remember right and that was strictly in terms of fuel savings. Its nice to hear from some one else that power was not killed by this kind of swap because I have been trying to explain that for years. Crank shaft Hp and RWHP do not change (thats a violation of the laws of physics) what does change is your upshift speed, and you simply hold on to each gear for longer because your operating range has been spread further out.

I pull a boat with mine too and its never bogged down on the ramp. When I'm on a 10% grade towing it, I'm usually doing 60MPH;Sweet

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
OK, so I'm such a newbie, I know, but if I were to want a 3.08 rear, what's the best donor for one? I take yours is eight lug, so were those available on F250s? I'm done with this rear on my truck, it looks like changing the axle is the cheapest and easiest way to >3.55.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that factory 3.08 equipped ford diesels of this era are out there but very rare.

In my case, I ordered a brand new aftermarket ring & pinion online that was Motive Gear brand. I've put about 40k miles on them with no issues at all. If I remember right they were about $250USD before shipping.

And in case you don't already know, 4wds that have the Dana50 TTB or Dana60SA cannot accept 3.08 or 3.07 gears. The Dana44 can however.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
So I need a Dana 44 rear? Were they available in eight lug, and if so, under what do I look at the boneyard to find one? Or, will my D60 shafts swap?

Sorry for the slight derail, I am very new to this whole thing but I am learning.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
No, the dana 44 would be for the front if you have a 4x4 truck, the front and back axles have to have the same ratio. A d50 or a d60 front will not accept a 3:08 gearset

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the dana 44 would be for the front if you have a 4x4 truck, the front and back axles have to have the same ratio. A d50 or a d60 front will not accept a 3:08 gearset

Correct, sorry I should have been more clear.

The Dana61 semifloater can accept 3.07s and many vans did come with them but also some pickups (van is narrower and won't work).

Sterling 10.25 will accept 3.08s

I think the Dana 70 can accept 3.07s but I am not sure.

Dana61, 70 and sterling are all REAR axles.

The reference to the Dana60, 50, and 44 are all front axles.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I will be awaiting the swap info as I have to wonder how long I will be into the 1/2 ton stuff before I have to upgrade.

SWS