Moose Jr. Arrived today

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, looks like I may be heeding yalls wisdom and waiting and doing it all at once. Got called out for a missing Aircraft today and didn't get the time to put the pump in. Leaving town for holidays to see the parents so may just do it all at once. Let's see what Santa brings this year, and if you don't believe you are wrong!

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we did injectors( misters) and glow plugs, (motorcraft) with new baby moose pump also, started right up after purging, dozen or so try's with long breaks for starter, probably would have started sooner if we had glow plug relay hooked up,oops!

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope everyone had a merry Christmas, here's and update. Got home from the parents too late today to put the pump in, which is just as well. I'll be ordering injectors tomorrow from CDI and should have her making smoke a day or two after getting them in. It's already going above what I want to put in the truck right now, but since I'm this deep is there anything else I should be doing. I'll have new motorcraft GP (controller is working fine will hold off upgrading till it goes), new Moose Jr IP, their regular injector replacement, and new return lines. Once that's all in I'll see if I can work out meeting IDIot to time her and call the engine good (hopefully)

Anything I'm missing in the fuel delivery dept?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, If you are still using the factory glow plug controller that threads into the back of the drivers side head, I would recommend you upgrade it to the 7.3 Style that bolts elsewhere. (Back of intake or on a valve cover....) The 6.9 style tends to fail "on".... which will burn up your nice new glow plugs. The new style 7.3 controller fails "safe" or off, it won't burn up your plugs......

With my luck, I would go through all this work, and the first start after having it back together, the controller would fail and burn out all my plugs, and I would get to change them all over again......

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take that under consideration. Are they known for failing in the middle of running or just after (during) start up? My WTS light is either inop, or removed. I listen to the relay for knowing when to start, so if it fails at start up I'd have an idea, If I do my part.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the glow plug controller is easy to get to, but the glow plugs are a pain. mostly because of the turbo. if there good, roll the dice.
if youre iffy on there status, i say replace them when injectors and ip/lines are out.

no problemo on the timing. just let me know,
i wont be home until this weekend.
but I dont have an issue with timing a hot engine.

if you have the copper line from the IP to the back of the engine, i say delete it, and run the return line to #2 injector cap.
it makes timing the pump alot easier.

ill go snap a few pics of what im talking about.

i had a 5/16" copper line going from the IP in the 1st pic to the brass "manifold" in the rear of the engine in the 2nd pic.
deleted the "manifold", and ran a T 2 1/4" barb fittings and 1 5/16" barb fitting.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDI, thanks! I'll PM you when I have it back together, all depends on when the injectors get in. I think I know what you are talking about for the return line. The copper line that comes off the front of the IP and runs to the back where the tank return is? I was planning on replacing the elbow with a barbed fitting and doing the same at the other end and running fuel line to replace it. Damn thing is quite rigid and not easy to line up or thread properly. On that note is the feed line from the filter to the pump worth replacing with a Braided SS line? I see it as an option from CDI, and would love to support them (pump and injectors), but can have it made in town at a local shop for less. Is it worth doing?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you got the jist of what im talking about on the return line, there is also a olive back there, i fricken hate those things!

the SS feed line....its completely worth doing.
im with you on supporting CDI, and with reguards to the feed line, they got some good coin out of me for the IP and injectors too, i didnt feel bad about making my own feed line.

i used summit parts. with do it yourself AN fittings, i actually had the fittings and the line left over from another project, but all in all if i was to buy it, it woulda cost me about 50 bucks.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got to thinking, I'm sure there is a good reason for having a SS line for the filter to IP rather than an standard fuel line... But what is it? The standard line can handle the <10PSI no problem and comes at a much lower premium. I know I'm not the first to ask this, so there has to be a good reason, fighting off air enpingment maybe?

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for tolerating that thinking out loud. Hopefully this can serve as a guid to the next guy who has the same questions.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only if they search for it.
Sounds like ya got it covered/ironed out.
Nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent