Moose Jr. Arrived today

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Mel designed the ss line because when running a Hypermax intercooler removal of the fuel filter was impossible. It seems like it would be a PITA even with the flex line. Are you supposed to loosen filter then move the head and filter out of the way? Solid state controllers are available for the 6.9 application. It threads into the head in place of the original and the harness plugs into it. It has one less pin than the original. I think Accurate Diesel sells them on ebay. I put one on mine and it is only serving as a plug as I run a push button setup. I can hook it up just by reattaching the purple wire to the GP relay if someone else was going to drive my truck. I only tried it out once and it worked like it was supposed to. I believe Mel was running one of these for awhile and later commented that he had switched to one made by Delphi that he thought would last longer. I'm sure Mel could get you a Delphi one if they are available.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the one. It's amazing looking in my Haynes manual there are several pages of diagnostic tests for the 6.9 controller. I had one fail, but it wasn't constantly on, but cycling on and off like it would after a cold start. I bought an OEM replacement and it worked fine for years. If your wait to start light doesn't work you wont know if the controller is stuck on.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, injectors came in today...just as I was headed off to the sick house to see a friend that has been stuck there for a day and into tonight. Parts go in Wed, and she should be making smoke on Th after the RTV dries overnight. I'm pretty excited to see what she can do after this.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She's alive!!!!!!! In the past two day I put the parts back on and after a little bleeding she fired right up. I'll do a little better write up tomorrow when I'm on a computer. Sounds great, and runs like a new truck. Can't wait to see what timing it will do.

Here's what initial start up looked like.
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have time this weekend, if you want me to time it.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a little more detail on the procedure if anyone cares to follow along for the adventure:

Cause for inspection of injection system: White smoke with no oil or coolant consumption

Initial inspection showed leaky return lines, replaced O-Rings, caps, and lines. That helped with starting, but not smoke. The white smoke would turn black under no load, once the turbo spooled to 11psi FWO throttle. Not knowing the timing history on the truck I pulled the pump to verify that the timing marks were lined up. Half way thorough pulling the IP I decided to get the new pump, called CDI and talked with a tech to land on the Jr.

Once I got the pump in I planned out my fuel delivery and return system. I wanted to delete the IP return hard line, and the feed line (ended up using the feed line). About this time I bit the bullet and ordered moose mate injectors to go with the new pump. Waited a few days and the injectors are in.

Once all the part were in I went to work on install. First was to swap over all the fittings on the IP. I replaced the return line with a barbed connector to run line to the rail return and a O-Ring boss to JIC to barb for the supply (didn't stay, more on that later). I then printed a injector line/pump connection view from AllData and used tape to number the lines before switching them over. Moved over all the lines and snugged them. Installed the fast idle and set the IP aside.

Injectors: The injectors come in a sealed bag with the pop test results inside, return line kit, and instructions. I placed the injectors on a clean bench with plastic under them and installed the O-rings using automotive air conditioning lube (Automotive KY if you will). Once all 16 O-rings were on I replaced the caps and set them aside. Then i removed the old injectors making sure to pull the copper washer out with it, cleaned the bore, making sure to not let anything drop in the hole.

Lunch brake is over, more to follow.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to IDIoit she got timed today! Runs like a champ, and sounds even better than before.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ken, the truck is sweet!
You need to throw some pics up!
Folks, who here can say, your turbo installer paints their
Logo on the truck. Just awesome!

You must be registered for see images attach

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Ah, an eXtra Luxurious Truck. I used to have one of those...

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Quick update. The truck sit for a week while I was in Vegas for Shot Show, upon coming back she fired right up no fuss at all. She still is hard to start in the cold mornings, GP controller not doing a full cycle, but other than that great! New radiator and heater core went in before I left. All that's left now is rebuilding the BW1356 under it! Thanks for all the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent