Money Pit #2 Won't run.

Nathan Miley

Reaction score
Went out and tested the gauge on my dads idi, tested right into the 300s.

Went back over to this one and tested it, no more than 75. I added a little oil to a cylinder and tested it. Jumped up to 160 and started dropping the more tries I went.
Ouch. Oh well.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
0 psi or 75 psi bad valves or bad cam? bad rings loses more than 20 percent of total compression of high cylinder. like 220 psi dry 300 psi wet but pull all injector before you do a compression check because slow cranking will show low compression. you should use a lot of WD40 to clean all the rust and carbon off rings and allow the motor to spin freely. if it still turns slow then bad bearings on crank. Good Luck

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With those test results, I would be pulling that engine out for further diagnosis. Sounds like it may need a full rebuild, but I would check out those cylinder heads first.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't pull the injectors out just for a compression test, just pull the glow plugs out so it spins fast. I would get a couple cans of SeaFoam and pour a little down each GP hole, let sit a couple of days, then see what the compression is.

Nathan Miley

Reaction score
I finally got it pulled, it took about 2 1/2 evenings after work. That is fun doing it by yourself with nothing but the light from your phone and a 38hp kubota at 9:30. It was about all that tractor could do to pick out that cast iron behemoth. The radiator had white crust buildup starting around the tops of the tubes inside, to much sca?

I pulled the drivers head and it doesn't look all that bad to me. You can see a taste of corrosion had just started from it sitting for about 8 years. Finger nail does not catch it though. I see nothing that is problematic. Head seems ok. Head gasket looks good, the metal ring in the gasket was a little out of round but wasn't leaking. doesn't have much of a ridge at all at the top of the cylinders. Will pull the other head and front dress off of it soon.

I have a 302 that looked twice as bad and still runs like a scalded ape (already bored 40 over and wasn't worth putting more into).

Pictures look worse than it does in person.
You must be registered for see images attach

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good. The white crust is probably calcium from the water they used in the rad, most likely they used tap water not distilled.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Do you have any idea on how much wear is in the cylinders? Just a hone and new rings?