Military-type tire tread

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My boss in Utah ran this type of tires on his truck (back in the 90s) and he swore by them.
Anyone here have any experience or opinion on them?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire design has come a long way in the last 80+ years. The design criteria at the time was something like 1) cheap, 2) off road use primary and on road use secondary, 3) max speed 45-50 mph, 4) the enemy shouldn't be able to determine your direction of travel from your tire prints. This doesn't really meet the needs of most folks today. I never spent any time driving on them, but I did a resto mod on a old Dodge M37 several years ago. The consensus among that crowd at the time was that the NDT's were inferior to a modern tire in every single regard, except for period correctness of course.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend had them on his old jeep, and came to the same conclusion as TNBrett. They look cool, but sacrifices had to be made to make them “non-directional” so they don’t perform great in slippery conditions.

Gr8ful

Reaction score
They don't dry rot,I had them on 2 6x6s the oldest a 1966 radio truck 7k orig miles bout at auction at a collage. Sat outside allit's life. all 11 tires were orig & matched & no cracks, dryrot, nothing. Went to get it & the fuel pump didn't hum , pulled it out it hummed, looked in the tank, jello. Gut the line before the injector pump, got a plastic boat thank & 12x fuel pump, after cracking each bleeder to let the air out it started poured black smoke for 5 minutes cleared up & drove here home.

Jay Krout

Reaction score
They wear good and do good for off road use and in snow...worst thing ever on ice

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good ole gravediggers...
An added benefit was Zero side Hill grip.
Yep +1
on the above post's.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well they are round and hold air. In light mud, they work good, in heavy mud, hit it fast and hard, keep them spinning. Ice? Pucker up babay! Sand? Yep. work good for that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726