Mileage thread

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fought those same/similar return line leaks... we should hook up one evening and discuss "drying" out the IDI over a libation...

Penzanse

Reaction score
Real milage.....HAH!

You guys out there claiming these high mpg's.....are you guys high or what? I am starting to think diesel people are worse than fishermen! First someone comes out and claims 15+, then someone claims 18+, and on and on.

NOBODY that I know with a 250/350 or whatever diesel truthfully gets these numbers.

Oh wait......I get it!....I get 22mpg hauling 12K of load uphill, against the wind....now let's go fishing!

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fix yuor truck, lose the large ass tires, and then come back to see us. My brothers consistently pull 19+ out fo their first gen 12v. My 6.2 Suburban didn't have an accurate fuel gauge, so I drove it off gallons put in x 17 mg, and then was **** aqbout my odometer.

Never ran out, the few times I did do a check, it was 19-22.

Each truck is different.

For every Dmax driver I here that calims 19-22=3, I here another one claiming 10....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Penzanse,

I see this is you first post here, and you dont know the members here. I would suggest you do some research on this site and look at what the members here have done to and with their trucks. Also look how the truck is equipped. Gearing, weight and design of truck (Regular Cab, Crew Cab, 2wd, 4x4, Cap/no cap, tires, towing/and what is being towed) all affect mileage. These should be hand calculated numbers off the odometer and the amount of fuel used. I know at least a few of the members use GPS actual mileage, and not the odometer, just to make sure they are correct. One of the figures in this list is from MY TRUCK, and I am not exaguration the numbers, if anything they may be less as I believe my spedometer is not 100% accurate. Another member that is on here, who has not been posting alot as of lately, has a Dodge/Cummins 12v that consistantly gets 20+ MPG, and how do I know this? I have used his truck and checked for myself. So, I would take alook around before, I began to accuse "fish stories". This is not a contest, just an exchange of information.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys out there claiming these high mpg's.....are you guys high or what? I am starting to think diesel people are worse than fishermen! First someone comes out and claims 15+, then someone claims 18+, and on and on.

NOBODY that I know with a 250/350 or whatever diesel truthfully gets these numbers.

Oh wait......I get it!....I get 22mpg hauling 12K of load uphill, against the wind....now let's go fishing!

Welcome to the site. This one isn't like the others you hang out on. We actually care about the quality of the info here. If somebody makes an outragous claim, we expect them to back it up. When my Pacific Pride fuel bill comes at the end of the month, I'll scan it and post it. It will show the fuel milage, because we put our odom readings in at every fill up. I give you my word that we didn't "suppliment" the tanks anywhere else, with one exception that I will point out. Matthias' claim of 31 MPG is verifyable, and for those who rode in his truck during the rally, I suspect they will have no problems believing it.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i got 15 mpg out of both my IDI trucks, without overdrives.

i'm happy to eke 14 out of my PSD. 12-13 empty and 10 towing is more like it. though my driving style could be a little aggressive.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Parents 08 6.4 Is getting 14.5mpg, driving easy. 13mpg driving hard. Towing our boat and camper, grossing just under 20K, was 11mpg.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15 MPG should be your baseline without overdrive. With overdrive, 20 is your baseline.

There never were any EPA estimates for these trucks, but after being in this crowd for this long, I am confident that any IDI should be able to get that if its empty and close to stock form. Any mods that are done could move the numbers up or down depending on exactly what you are doing to it.

31 MPG makes me think that the chevy 6.2 might not be the mileage king after all. But thats a light, 2wd truck being driven gently.

I smell no BS here......;Sweet

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
fix yuor truck, lose the large ass tires, and then come back to see us. My brothers consistently pull 19+ out fo their first gen 12v. My 6.2 Suburban didn't have an accurate fuel gauge, so I drove it off gallons put in x 17 mg, and then was **** aqbout my odometer.

Never ran out, the few times I did do a check, it was 19-22.

Each truck is different.

For every Dmax driver I here that calims 19-22=3, I here another one claiming 10....

I don't understand that either. I don't remember ever getting under 19-20 on the highway and the only way I could get less than 15 or 16 is to drive it up and down the drag strip all day.LOL Course I'm not pulling 10K either.

Tom

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

It took me an insane amount of work to see 20 with a 4.10 rear and these guys have been watching the progress. I didn't think it possible for a truck the size of mine, but with proper gearing matched up, it is. It only took me over 2 years of research and work to make it happen. to be able to get that kind of mileage and still have great towing gears, and I have beyond the best of both worlds with 15 forward and 3 reverse gears.
The truck that is getting over 30, is a 150, it was never built for one of these engines and the frame and many other parts are much lighter than all the rest of the diesels out there (since you are new you missed the entire repower swap thread on that thing from it's original state, quite a feat ) It was about like dropping an IDI in a car . I imagine he barely has to tap the pedal and idles down the road
Any 250 /350 with 355 or numerically smaller rear will get good mileage, with 3.08 range the things get insane mileage the rest of us make due with double overdrives and other crazy combinations to get the final drive ratio where it needs to be. Mine happens to be an auxiliary 3 speed transmission out of a mid 60s semi truck. you see around here we happen to be a bit more inventive in ways around a problem.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah man. I'm hoping to join the small and exclusive brownie box club by the end of the summer. I just need to ship my DNE2 to its new owner so I'll have the cash to deal. The danged thing is almost too heavy for a box and FedEx/UPS but it is too light to justify a truck and crate freight type deal.

Penzanse

Reaction score
Mileage

Sorry if I came off sounding critical on my first post. I was trying to get your mileage secrets. Apologies if I came off wrong. This forum has been a wealth of good info about diesels. Some have actually led to helping me troubleshoot my beast (specially the *&#$%! GP's that swell!). I've pretty much rebuilt my 6.9 engine with the help of 2 diesel mechanics. Drivetrain has been gone through. 410 rear. My rig is all stock with the exception of 17" wheels. Now those wheels made a difference!

I know some claims have substance because of the amount of work that went into it. I've seen some crazy numbers out of a old VW diesel truck back in the 70's. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that 90% of mileage claims are just that, claims. You know, you're at the office/shop/school/whatever and you start out, "I got 18mpg out of my truck!" Next guy sez, "Shoot, I get 20!", then the bidding starts. I've had friends sit there and tell me the same, as I look over and see a dually with a blown engine.

I let my past experiences taint my view. For me, that was wrong. For any that I wronged, I beg indulgence.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Its all good ;Sweet. Most of us here wont stretch the truth about our claims.

I switched from the front tank to the rear with 280miles on it. If the tank is 16 gallons like I think it is (is it LOL?), that should be 17.5mpg. Add in another 5% for tire height difference, and I got 18.375mpg. Thats doing 55-60mph, with the A/C on sometimes, taking it a little on the easy side.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
no one gains anything by lieing about mileage so we are as accurate as we can be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online