Might have found my second idi

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/798659610344691

Going to look at this this week. 85 F350 single cab t19 4x4. Paint sucks but it's actual metal I could paint not rust.

Still don't know what axles, what the recent engine rebuild entailed, or if it needs anything right away to be road worthy all of which will greatly impact my decision. I don't hate 3500 if it runs and drives as is and just needs the common small idi things I've already done to my good idi.

85 could potentially still be bad block time too correct?

I'm gonna try and check everything I can while there but if anything jumps out at anyone let me know. If I get it I'll have to decide what to drive to the rally.... jk crew cab life is too easy for long journeys lol

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bullnose is my favorite also. Best looking truck Ford ever made yet. Was always my favorite dash design also.
Ugliest dash design I ever had, was the bricknose but it did hold up a lot better with wear and tear

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bullnose is my favorite also. Best looking truck Ford ever made yet. Was always my favorite dash design also.
Ugliest dash design I ever had, was the bricknose but it did hold up a lot better with wear and tear

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian,

Here are a few thing's I see looking at the pictures. Since Bull Nose trucks are my favorite.

It looks like that truck was originally the Dark Blue color of the back of the cab. The inside of the bed looks to be white, by what I can see below the tail gate, which would make sense, as the inside of the bed would normally be the same color as the bed rails.

That is an aftermarket cowl hood. Not sure about the front fenders, there is no holes for the badges to mount/line up on.

That is an 80-82 Grille. 83 is when the Blue Oval showed up in the center of the grille.

It's a factory non-A/C truck, no vents in the dash. Looks to be a non-tilt column, it does have the rare factory tach, and is a dual tank truck, I can see the switch.

Looks like it has a brake controller, and I do see the diesel specific lights on the dash, since there is no pictures of the engine to know 100% if it is a diesel.

May have a push button for the glow plugs, down by the diesel lights.

The clock in the passenger dash is an add-on, but looks like it was done nicely.

It is a "non package" truck, since the area above the radio is blank. Custom, XL and XLT would show in that blank if it were a package truck. That means this truck was more than likely ordered to be exactly the way they wanted it.

Cab lights would have been an option or later add on, cab lights are only stock on a dually, per DOT requirements.

It's missing the fuel doors, but that is the proper bull bed, it has the correct fender lines.

One other concern, what is hiding on the passenger side? None of the pictures show the passenger side, and he was on that side, since the cab pictures are taken through the passenger door...... seems to have purposely not shown the passenger side.

That being said, if it is as rust free as it looks, and everything is there, $3500 isn't bad. I would try to go a bit less, but a fairly clean bull nose, with a decent interior is hard to find....... considering the newest bull nose is 32 years old now.......

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with the owner. Truck sat for three years up until last year. Had a knock. Glow plug tip into cylinder. Replaced cylinder and re ringed engine. Along with new gaskets. Seemed to talk intelligently in idi terms about what work was done to engine. It is a 6.9. 124k miles. Had new injectors and new ip put in when doing all engine work previously. Stanaydyne products he said. Fuel pump died last week and he is too busy to want to keep messing with truck, he's "getting too old for this stuff". He's putting the new mechanical pump in this week when it arrives and as long as it comes in and he gets it installed by Sat I'm gonna go down and drive it then. Passenger side is fine also he sent me a picture. New glow plugs were motorcraft and he said it will start within 5 seconds of cranking cold.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol piston. I wish I would have been talking to him while I was at home so I could have wrote things down. I was at work and pre occupied. I'm just glad he was honest with me about some of the bad that has happened instead of making it seem like everything in it is "all original" just because you can turn the key and drive it. I mean we'll see - I might get there and find some interesting things too, never know.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's what I thought you were talking about, but I thought I'd poke some fun at you.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow is the day. Talked to him last night said he put the new lift pump on and it fired right up. He drove it around to get it up to temp and make sure he didn't have any air in the fuel system and it idled smooth. Seems like it will be a done deal as long as it's mostly clean underneath [not expecting perfection on a 33 year old truck].

He's also giving me 2 gallons of the matching paint it has up front, a super duty exhaust system with homeade bypasses welded where there would have been emissions items with a small straight through muffler [it's straight piped now and has a couple holes between cab and bed in exhaust], and a single stack from another truck he had if I wanted it.

Seems like he's an upfront and honest dude, I'm just glad I've been on this site long enough with my original idi to not really feel concerned going to look at another one. I've heard enough good and bad engines running to feel like I'll have a good idea of what to listen for, go take it for a drive and come back and let it idle make sure it's not leaking anything and make sure it's not bubbling in the overflow or the coolant level is the same and see if it starts up good hot and go from there.

Here's to hoping i own another one tomorrow and can sell my rusting out straight six winter beater this summer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86