Metal Clutch Slaves No More?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I've been trying to find a metal clutch slave cylinder all day. Can't find them anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get one?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a similar note, just out of curiosity, does anyone know if it's possible to buy the clutch master & slave "kit" and get a metal master and slave cylinder? Or do you have to buy them separately if you want them metal? I saw that rockauto.com has the pre-assembled and bled setups, but the pictures look to be plastic.

Thanks in advance :angel: I know that the plastic ones have metal internal parts, but I spend enough time in high UV areas that I've had problems with even "protected" plastic parts breaking down in the past, so the more I can minimize it, the better...

Last edited:

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to buy the metal slave and master, then get the hose. I have a metal hose with the stainless braided end.

How did you get the hose? My understanding was that the end fittings they used were non standard items so you were stuck with the plastic. Would love to get a stainless line.... Never liked the idea of plastic, especially not having my turbo up-pipe run right through there.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you get the hose? My understanding was that the end fittings they used were non standard items so you were stuck with the plastic. Would love to get a stainless line.... Never liked the idea of plastic, especially not having my turbo up-pipe run right through there.
IIRC the clutch hydraulic setup for the PSD trucks has a metal hose like what Jon described, and is otherwise identical to the IDI setup. I was figuring to go in that direction anyways, for the same reason you want to. It's held up (surprisingly), but I've NEVER trusted that plastic hose...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes, the PSD trucks have the metal hose. At least mine did.

It is a special fitting, but it can be bought with an fittings. I don't have the link anymore, but could find it if anyone's interested.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got about 4 different lines

Black plastic
Red plastic
Metal tubing with a small portion of plastic on the end at slave
Metal tubing with a small portion of braided stainless on the end at the slave

I can provide pics if needed

I do my best to keep my setups complete when I remove them so they don't need a bleed! However I am considering ordering a NEW metal slave and master and utilizing my metal tube/stainless braided line setup when I cab swap!

Metal master and slave available at NAPA here locally.

Al

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does the metal hose route? How much of it is flexible? Looking at the rock auto pics it looks like it's just the very end that's flex. My concern is routing since I've got a turbo up-pipe running up the driver's side of the bellhousing.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I have had a plastic hose fail in a stock application, was on my unmodified 85. The line burnt a hole through at the exhaust manifold. Put a push to connect fitting in and got back on the road but they can go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker