Medium Duty fuller transmission questions

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It makes me wonder what trannys came behind the 7.3s in medium duty rigs

usually either a spicer or Clark 5 speed direct were the most common in buses and local delivery trucks. larger buses and heavier trucks or ones running in mountains might run split axles or 6 or 7 speed boxes

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm putting a powerstroke in a m35a2 and was wondering if there was better options than the zf6. It's looking like that still maybe the best option.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm putting a powerstroke in a m35a2 and was wondering if there was better options than the zf6. It's looking like that still maybe the best option.

About the coolest box you can get is a 7 speed EZ shift. It's a fully synchronized ( 2-7) 7 speed box with 7th either direct or OD depending on model. it's a single range shift pattern making it less confusing for those not used to split range boxes . It will get you about the most gears that you can get and still have synchros for those not used to shifting straight cut gears, a,d I
ll be honest, I love my brownie, but with a quick revving mid range engine, it is a bit quick to scratch gears, those things do tend to favour slower revving engines, but you get used to anything after a while

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I never did buy one. The local wrecking place wanted 1150 for a "used unknown condition" so basically that is a big no. Such is why I'm asking about the other options. A zf6 with a short throw shifter would be nice too. But a true ten speed wih overdrive would be ideal. It all gets back to price. If a medium duty tranny presents itself t a good price then maybe. Issue being again is that no where have I seen 100% proof of what trannys could fit the stroker besides the oe zf series.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what u joint size yokes are available for this. I know the f450/f550 must have bigger yokes

edpruss

Reaction score
Why not get both set ups and swap all the parts over to the OD trans, sell the extra. Mounting bolts should be 4.750" Cl To Cl on SAE 2.