Mechanical vs electrical fuel pump

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
what are the specs on the mech fuel pumps for this truck just wondering because I have an old in line fuel pump that is 30 gph and 8 psi but i'm not sure if you coul just re route the hoses past the mech fuel pump or do you have to plug it and if you do, with what? I can also get fairly cheaply a 15 psi 90(I think)gph fuel pump my main question is besides the easier bleeding would i see any other pros. what about the cons?

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everybody that has done this on here has used the holley red pump. I think around 7 or 8 psi sounds right. I plan on installing a red pump soon. I think my mechanical lift pump is leaking ocassionally draining my fuel filter. The first time it happened I thought I ran out of fuel because my rear sender doesn't work. It happened again tonight 10 days later. My batteries are tired of priming this thing the hard way.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I just finished up my Red pump install, and the only regret I have is not doing it sooner! It mounts up like it was made to be there ;Sweet

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I used a cheap master pump from advanced auto and the like - if you dig through the archives over on TDS I know I posted part number and it was only like 25 bucks and worked perfect - never had a failure or starved for fuel. The holley units are nice but they cost a bit more. I know of two other guys that ran the master pump like I did and they never complained about them that was Darrin Tosh and Bill Miller (I don't know if Bill ever made it over to this site - I think he's still hanging out on TDS - Pete cndsarguy would have his info and might even have the part number to the master pump from many moon ago).

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got to looking at my orielly's auto parts site and they have the holley red but they also have a mr gasket red. No pressure specs given just said low pressure but it was for 40 bucks. I was thinking about this one since I still haven't finished putting my turbo donor truck back together and am short on funds.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a Facet Posi-Flow from NAPA, only $35 dollars or so. They stuck their name on it but its a posi flow. I've had it for almost two years and its been great. You can block off the old pump with a big block Chevy fuel pump eliminator plate. But I had to grind like 1/32 off the bottom end of mine because there was a formed ridge in the block.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys I ordered a delphi fuel pump with 5 to9 psi. I haven't seen it yet. How will it hold up to diesel?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of completely eliminating the mechanical lift-pump, I would install an electric-pump, switchable on demand, in a by-pass line.

Two check-valves, one down-stream of the mechanical pump, and the other down-stream of the electric pump, will prevent pressure from one pump working against the other.

Normal operations can be done with the electric OFF and just going along for the ride.

Cold start priming and filter-filling can be done with the electric.

Two TEEs, some fuel-line, and two check-valves, are all the plumbing necessary to implement this.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instead of completely eliminating the mechanical lift-pump, I would install an electric-pump, switchable on demand, in a by-pass line.

Two check-valves, one down-stream of the mechanical pump, and the other down-stream of the electric pump, will prevent pressure from one pump working against the other.

Normal operations can be done with the electric OFF and just going along for the ride.

Cold start priming and filter-filling can be done with the electric.

Two TEEs, some fuel-line, and two check-valves, are all the plumbing necessary to implement this.

I think the benefits gained by going electric with no mechanical (elimination of crankcase fuel introduction possiblity) outweigh any concerns that the electric might fail and leave you stranded.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the benefits gained by going electric with no mechanical (elimination of crankcase fuel introduction possiblity) outweigh any concerns that the electric might fail and leave you stranded.

I tend to forget that these engines have diaphragm-type lift-pumps.

I use piston-type lift-pumps on my Cummins engines.

Among their many advantages, it is not possible for a piston-lift-pump to fail in such a way as to allow fuel into the crank-case.

They look like this :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cumm...emQQcategoryZ33555QQihZ005QQitemZ150015398551

Surely, there is a marine or industrial application that uses a piston-pump on these Internationals, that could be employed on these trucks.

CARTER, among several others, manufacturers them.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Everybody that has done this on here has used the holley red pump.

Not everybody...see my sig, half the price of a Holley and two years no problems, except for a dirty primary Perma Cool filter. I run a gallon of veggy every once in a while as well as fuel additive ALWAYS!

4-6 PSI should be fine and I think factory fuel flow was under 30 GPH if I remember the book I have around here somewhere, but suffice it to say, about any electric will work. I thought I lost mine when the fuel filter plugged, but that is all it was and a new spin on can fixed it almost immediately.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sle2115 I wasn't trying to be rude, just making a poor generalization. I used the Delphi pump today. The install was a piece of cake. It doesn't make any noise. It makes 8 psi koeo and running it maintains 6psi. Bleeding after this install was easier than ever. I put a cheap inline filter before the pump, to hopefully extend pump life. Grand total for pump filter and block off plate 55 bucks.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
What about lines to bypass the old lift pump? How much do they usually run? And do most of you mount it back just after the selector valve on the frame? Or right up where the old pump was at?