Mechanical vs electrical fuel pump

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted my pump right in front of the selector valve. Electric pumps push better than they pull. I just used good gates 3/8 hose to bypass the old pump. We keep this hose at the shop but I couldn't imagine it being more than a couple bucks. I left a loop in it like stock.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Sle2115 I wasn't trying to be rude, just making a poor generalization. I used the Delphi pump today. The install was a piece of cake. It doesn't make any noise. It makes 8 psi koeo and running it maintains 6psi. Bleeding after this install was easier than ever. I put a cheap inline filter before the pump, to hopefully extend pump life. Grand total for pump filter and block off plate 55 bucks.

No, I didn't take it as being rude, just wanted to point out quality options as well. Sorry, no offense taken or meant.
Scott

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Okay so i installed the fuel pump this past weekend and planned on taking off the mehanical the next day, that night I cranked up to go somewhere and when i got out on the road i was surprised because it seemed to accel a little better. I got on down the road and decided to really see if it had given her any extra go. I popped the clutch and stomped the pedal and it took off wonderful. when i shifted into third the engine started sputtering, and then died like it ran out of diesel. I hopped out and pushed the schrader valve while cranking and the filter was full of air.

I got it home and pulled the electric pump and bled the lines and the truck fired right up I drove it today without the electric and had absolutely no problems. what about the electric pump would make my engine do that.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either a faulty pump or bad connection. I would vote on faulty pump. I have gotten lots of new parts that were bad.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Either a faulty pump or bad connection. I would vote on faulty pump. I have gotten lots of new parts that were bad.

Yep, been there done that. Had three sets of injectors and one IP, and the IP was even from MWFI! Lets just say the IP was easy to get replaced, and no problems. It took me a month to get just one replacement set of injectors out of Diesel Care. :puke:

Hot wire the pump just for a second to see if it spins.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I know it pumps because I have used it a couple times to pump diesel from the truck to the tractor when it ran out. The pump is rated 8 lbs and 30 gph and I have it hooked just past the selector into the line that runs over to the filter. I hadn't removed my mechanical yet, would that have anything to do with it?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hadn't removed my mechanical yet, would that have anything to do with it?

Do you have a mechanical-pump by-pass; or, are you trying to pump through the diaphragm-pump ??

Run a pump by-pass line, with your electric-pump in that, and see what it does.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I just went and bought the block off plate and am about to get the install done right now, I will let ya'll know how it goes thanks for everthing guys.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Which wire did ya'll tie the pump wire into, I have been told to just run it up to the battery and put it on a toggle switch but i dont want to have to flip the toggle everytime i crank the truck. Any other options that would help me

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ignition live. Somone here will be able to tell you exactly what wire, but I'd follow the IP power on wire back and see if you can tap into that, or Im sure there are others as well.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I got out a test light and found a fuse that only had power on while key is on-cranking and hooked in to that. Have to find a fuse the is hot while cranking. If not pump won't run and truck won't start. Don't ask why I know.....

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Careful just what you hook the pump to, as it is a constant draw while it is running.

I would use an ignition-HOT source as the trigger-wire that switches a relay, with the relay powering the pump; wired thus, the pump will not put any load on the ignition-switch, which already has enough juice going through it.