Mechanical shutoff

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do people have to be like that?
Some just know everything and want to be sure you know to toe the line.
Iam 80 and still in the learning mode, never too old to learn something new. There is more that I don`t know, than I know.

The one`s that think they know everything are the losers.

I was trying to get signed up to be on FB just to see what it is all about.
Then they wanted a picture of me, and said fooie on that.

Goat

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't even have a picture of me on there. Definitely big on that whole internet privacy thing. Too many weirdos out there. Or maybe I just listen to too many true crime stories
..... definitely weirdos.......oh my goodness, the weirdos......

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My biggest question is what are they going to charge for this kit? I'm cheap (low budget poor person) but don't mind modifying things. Looks like you'd have to have a new injection pump top cover supplied already modified or you're sold parts to modify your original top cover. I love the idea of a mechanical shut off. Then we'd be a hand crank inertia starter away from making our engine completely "offgrid".

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before getting the idi had a ‘92 Nissan hardbody for a few years. Love those trucks but it kept getting stolen, and luckily recovered.
The second time it was stolen it was left parked facing down a hill with the front passenger wheel chocked against a curb. They cut the fuel line going to the engine in what I assume to be their way of killing the engine.

Still cannot figure out why they would go through the trouble of cutting the line instead of just goosing the clutch and stalling the engine that way. Maybe it’s just crackhead logic donno

The reason I bring it up is: is stalling the engine with the clutch also a valid way to “manual shutoff”? Obv the auto folks need a way too. Don’t think I’ve ever stalled the 7.3 so not sure how angry they get.

Is the purpose of the manual shutoff supposed to function as a theft prevention too?

94f350

Reaction score
My biggest question is what are they going to charge for this kit? I'm cheap (low budget poor person) but don't mind modifying things. Looks like you'd have to have a new injection pump top cover supplied already modified or you're sold parts to modify your original top cover. I love the idea of a mechanical shut off. Then we'd be a hand crank inertia starter away from making our engine completely "offgrid".
It doesn't really look too complicated so I don't think it'd cost that much aside from being an uncommon part.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I can already imagine someone putting an inertia starter from a tank on their idi... Hahaha
I'm on it, guys......I'm on it......there's a "new thread" in the future.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the Manual Control, you are in control of the fuel.
With an electrical control like the trucks are wired in with (FSS Solenoid) as long as it works, (and they do for many years) If the Solenoid fails while driving, it will shut you down. Doesn`t happen often, but read where some have had it happen. It is really like a relay to some degree with a winding of wire etc...

With a manual control, takes out one more fail point.

When I bought my Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel back in 81, it had a electric motor, and a small gear box with a wheel, and a rod bolted to it which connected to the IP. Turn the key to start, motor turned the gears to turn the wheel to move the rod to move the lever on the IP to turn the fuel. And the reverse to kill the engine.

Around 4 or so years later one morning it wanted to start but didn`t, wanted to start etc... finally after 6 or so tries, opened the hood and stared at the engine for a bit, and thought maybe that gizmo is the problem. Disconnected the Rod and she started.
A new Gizmo as I remember was $150 or so.
I just popped the clutch or opened the Hood and moved the lever.
Later on rigged up a choke cable to control the fuel.

The EPA fuel was 33 and 39 MPG.
I figured out if I pulled the cable back after getting up to speed on the Hwy, I could cut the fuel and maintain my speed. Any slight up grade had to bump the cable in or she would loose it.

On one trip from Ca. to UT. I got 46 MPG out of one tank while fiddling with the fuel supply.

Wonder if this would work on our IDI`s if we can figure out a manual cable set up.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't even have a picture of me on there. Definitely big on that whole internet privacy thing.
Same here. There's a few pictures of me, but I try really hard to keep them to a minimum.
Before getting the idi had a ‘92 Nissan hardbody for a few years.
I gad a '89 for about three years. The thing I miss most about it is the mileage. Other than that, I'll keep my full size trucks.
Is the purpose of the manual shutoff supposed to function as a theft prevention too?
That's the biggest advantage in my opinion.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was trying to get signed up to be on FB just to see what it is all about.
Then they wanted a picture of me, and said fooie on that.
I got on FB simply because I wanted to use marketplace. I used a picture of my truck and for my birthday I used December 7th, 1941. I'm not that chronologically enhanced, but certainly a date I can remember.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The guy who started the thread over on fb finally followed up saying part is obsolete... Whoda thunk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online